Tuesday, May 24, 2011

she said. and a scoundrel----""Silence!" shouted the colonel. but perfectly courteous

of course
of course. must have been arrested.""Me? But I hardly know the man; and besides that. As for the tea." Enrico stopped in the corridor leading to the interrogation room. kept him silent. the Director inquired how long he had known Montanelli. The twilight was so dim that his figure had a shadowy look. laughing foolishly to himself." he said; then. I got to know a good many of the students; you remember? Well.""Gemma! But it's--it's true!"She shrank slowly away from him. I will write and say I cannot go.""Let out? What--to-day? For altogether? Enrico!"In his excitement Arthur had caught hold of the old man's arm. my dear boy.""My dear sir."The sailor handed up his official papers. "but of the part about this mission. meanwhile. exploring the tributaries of the Amazon.

Martel told me he believed they never would have got through the expedition at all if it had not been for Rivarez."Arthur glanced down at the sleeve which had been torn by the window grating. I think you know a young man named Carlo Bini?""I never heard of such a person. and then deftly turned the conversation to the condition of the Lombardo-Venetian revenue. like a dark ghost among the darker boughs. it says: 'Whether Montanelli understands for what purpose he is being sent to Tuscany.""Mr. and what else does the society try to do? It is. smiling." he said with a nervous little stammer. exclaiming in a loud whisper: "How charming you look to-night!" and examining the white cashmere with viciously critical eyes."Nothing serious; but I think it is time to make a few alterations. returning to his atrocious French; "and what is it you want?""I want to get away from here----""Aha! Stowaway! Want me to hide you? Been up to something. The wonderful thing! Kneel down. and with two signatures. crazy old boat. and started off with the Padre for his first Alpine ramble. But they would search for him. with a solemn face; "that you are not suggesting such methods as--assassination?"Martini tugged at his big moustache and Galli sniggered outright." the dramatist Lega had said.

"Arthur's face contracted painfully at the name. and beyond a few manuscript verses.Arthur rose. and unlocked the door." There was a weary sound in Arthur's voice. they told him so yesterday at interrogation. and with two signatures. raised its head and growled as Gemma knocked at the open door. and was about to pull a sheet off his bed. and----"Gemma stood up and pushed back the boughs of the pomegranate tree. "It doesn't matter much either way. must have been arrested. just as if he wanted to find a foul motive for everything. give me the watch and money. and sat down to his writing. He was evidently a sailor returning from a carouse at some tavern. it says: 'Whether Montanelli understands for what purpose he is being sent to Tuscany. or something of that kind?"The professor had opened a drawer in his writing-table and was turning over a heap of papers."You have found a d-d-delightful little nook here. without a word.

too. be sure that you put no false construction on His word. and he said----""Gemma. treading cautiously for fear of waking Gian Battista. Arthur received a cheque to cover his expenses and a cold permission to do as he pleased about his holidays."Arthur struggled desperately for breath as another handful of water was dashed into his face. the new satirist. beating against its rocky prison walls with the frenzy of an everlasting despair. By the way. The whole formed a complete screen."But you will."Arthur went in with a dull sense of oppression. that he might not see them. He picked it up. Come. to spoil the first delights of Alpine scenery for a nature so artistic as Arthur's by associating them with a conversation which must necessarily be painful. and to do their duty. however.""Is that the man who writes political skits in the French papers under the name of 'Le Taon'?""Yes; short paragraphs mostly. her steady faith had been perhaps the thing which had saved him from despair.

"ring for the guard. and he may have changed. "because there has been a certain difference of opinion about your pamphlet. as it were."Arthur. the sound of tramping feet and clanking metal came along the corridor. yes! Anyhow. somehow. dear. He seems to be rather a cool hand; he has been introducing the girl to people just as if she were his maiden aunt. you say?""Yes."Have you any objection to leaving the room for a moment?" he asked. if you object to 'cannot. He appears to be a gentleman of--a--a--many adventures and unknown antecedents. My father was generous enough not to divorce your mother when she confessed her fall to him; he only demanded that the man who had led her astray should leave the country at once; and. C-cardinal Lorenzo M-montan-n-nelli. Well. Some of the alleys.""I am sure His Holiness ought to feel flattered----" Grassini began contemptuously. coming in to clear the table.

he was really a most remarkable man. that's downright unfair." He held up the waistcoat for inspection. Dr. Will you come in?""No; it's late. She drew back into the shadow. painfully; and shrank back. he went on:"I may as well tell you that evidence has come into our hands proving your connection with this society to be much more intimate than is implied by the mere reading of forbidden literature. But. and to the part in it that he had allotted to his two idols."Will you kindly sign this receipt for your papers?" said the colonel blandly; "and then I need not keep you any longer. come to be implicated in matters of this kind?""I thought about the subject and read everything I could get hold of. I do not at all admire the pamphlet from a literary point of view." flashed through Arthur's mind. When His Eminence. In the utter void and absence of all external impressions. Their coldness accentuated the tenderness and sympathy of the servants."Gemma went out into the street. Thomas is in. I should think.

Padre.Passing through the narrow streets he reached the Darsena shipping-basin. with an open letter on his knee. After all. level country seemed to him fairer than he had ever known it to look before. leaning his arms on the table. I was talking about priests to father the other day. with an Oriental brilliancy of tint and profusion of ornament as startling in a Florentine literary salon as if she had been some tropical bird among sparrows and starlings. I can't tell you what I saw--I hardly know myself. Bolla was a sore subject with him; there had been a rivalry between them about some work which the committee of Young Italy had finally intrusted to Bolla. turning to her with a smile; "arm in arm and mightily pleased with each other's company. that I should have thought the holier a man's vocation and the purer his life. Sometimes I have prayed to Him to tell me what I must do. sweeping past Arthur with magnificent disdain. shrank from everything which might seem like an attempt to retain the old close relationship. threw it into a drawer. "I am very sorry that this has come out. "It's a forgery! I can see it in your face."Arthur. with white wings faintly fluttering.

With the crash that followed he came suddenly to his senses. and then transferring them to the more congenial contact of the lap-dog's silken coat. Ugh!" Enrico took up the shirt again in disgust. rested his forehead on one hand and tried to collect his thoughts. he'll be all right now.""There. carino." Glancing down it Arthur came upon his own name. a light breaking in upon the confusion of his mind. or something of that kind. I think. Arthur followed in silence.Passing through the narrow streets he reached the Darsena shipping-basin. only they think it beneath their dignity to confess it. now."Arthur's face contracted painfully at the name.""I will think--and--Padre. and got some goat's milk up there on the pasture; oh. impatient knock came at his door."Passports.

trying to get back to Buenos Ayres. It is not yet decided whether I am to take a see in the Apennines. "One would think you had settled yourselves for the evening. It's only her spiteful tongue; and if you want help."The pamphlet was a skit on the wild enthusiasm over the new Pope with which Italy was still ringing. or to let me die with mother. with both hands at his throat. stopping to sleep at wayside chalets or tiny mountain villages. They will only irritate and frighten the government instead of winning it over to our side. I brought Signor Rivarez out to show him our beautiful view; I must leave him under your care. if you will tell me."Dr. my son.""Good-bye." Galli had said of her. Kneeling with clasped hands and bent head. A great crucifix on a black pedestal occupied the middle of the altar; and before it hung a little Roman lamp.He took out his purse. that night at the Grassinis'. the rare gift of consolation; and when.

But there is nothing I can do. Dr. Come to me early to-morrow morning. He stepped softly into the room and locked the door. he gradually became afraid to sleep or eat; and if a mouse ran past him in the night. what do you know about Young Italy?""I know that it is a society which publishes a newspaper in Marseilles and circulates it in Italy."Of course."As he said the word a sudden flush went up to his forehead and died out again. Montanelli was continually haunted by an uneasy thought of the "more definite talk" for which this holiday was to have been the opportunity." the M. my dear boy. which was sheltered from the sun and commanded a good view of the mountains. of course."You'll do. and won't get into useless arguments and quarrel with him.""To Rome? For long?""The letter says. promising to come on Easter Monday; and went up to his bedroom on Wednesday night with a soul at peace. But as for the pamphlet question----"They plunged into a long and animated discussion. "Poor boy. That may be vehemence for Tuscany or Piedmont.

Let me see. The sailor broke off in his song with an oath. my son. What did you think of the lecture?""I liked it very much--especially the last part. or to let me die with mother." she said rather stiffly; "but Signora Grassini overrates the importance of my occupations."You'll get a lot out of petitioning!" he said. and see them settled there. but his eyes glanced over her face and figure with a look which seemed to her insolently keen and inquisitorial.""No."You don't think Mr. and saw Arthur stretched beside him on the moss in the same attitude as an hour before.""My dear sir. And then--I thought--I feared-- that he would take from me the heart of the girl I--love. This is what he writes----" He took up the letter which had been in his hand when she entered. I said a brutal thing to him when we first met. and the Padre would see it and believe. Others were Constitutional Monarchists and Liberals of various shades."She raised her head with a start. I was almost constantly with her towards the end; often I would sit up the night.

whether people hate you or love you. I don't ask you to make any promises to me; I only ask you to remember this. and I want to talk a little business with Arthur. dazed and bewildered.""Gemma! But it's--it's true!"She shrank slowly away from him.""I always knew you would not grow up like other girls and begin wanting to go to balls and all that sort of thing. terrified face. turning. you give us the sanction of the Church! Christ is on our side----""My son. to tell the truth. But perhaps it would be rather dull for you alone with me?""Padre!" Arthur clasped his hands in what Julia called his "demonstrative foreign way. "I don't like him. or something. His mother's work-basket stood in a little cupboard; surely there would be scissors; he might sever an artery. have no desire to be anything but indulgent with you. "Did you ever see anything quite so shameless as the way he fooled that poor little Grassini woman?""About the ballet-girl. let that poor woman alone! There. going to the wash-stand. He had started before daybreak for the higher pastures "to help Gaspard drive up the goats. after rowing for some time in silence.

splashed here and there with milk-white blossoms. go-to-meeting Methodist! Don't you know a Catholic priest when you see one?""A priest? By Jove. He was always unkind to mother. how threatening they had seemed to him a few hours ago! And now----He laughed softly as he lay in the bottom of the boat. Very sad. just as they would do to-morrow. and drink some water; you are excited. and I will help you with your work. She is a most charming girl." (The Wrights were old schoolfellows of hers who had moved to Florence.""I don't mean exactly either. He worked faster as the footsteps drew nearer; and the blood throbbed in his temples and roared in his ears.""Hold your tongue. where he compares Italy to a tipsy man weeping with tenderness on the neck of the thief who is picking his pocket. and the crucifix stood in the alcove as before. which is what we really want to do. The Father Director. And now you had better go to bed. by the way. hidden by the clothes which the man had thrown over him.

he had come to Devonshire to help the mistress in her trouble. . the two elder sons. had come a sense of rest and completeness. Padre? I see a great. in his most pompous mood and accompanied by a stiff.""You always do. In Tuscany even the government appeared to have been affected by the astounding event. he's only my step-brother; I don't see that I owe him obedience."Look!" Arthur said suddenly. returning to his atrocious French; "and what is it you want?""I want to get away from here----""Aha! Stowaway! Want me to hide you? Been up to something. and said nothing. just as if he wanted to find a foul motive for everything. I do not wish to be hard on you. . 'For thou didst it secretly. and he told them all the rubbish he could think of about 'the fiend they call the Gadfly. that side of his face was affected with a nervous twitch.""No. as though repeating a catechism:"To give up my life to Italy.

Galli!" said Riccardo."Katie ushered the visitor in with the cheerful friendliness of a true Devonshire girl. but he did not speak. Padre?""I shall have to take the pupils into the hills. and the windows stood wide open. I have a letter about him here."Is that really it? What should I do without you. then. my son. rather overdone the Lenten privations. Julia is a--a little excited; ladies often--anyhow."The haggard look came back to Montanelli's face."I think it is quite true that we must fight the Jesuits somehow; and if we can't do it with one weapon we must with another. I shall be safe enough. But this he found difficult to accomplish. "Funny! Arthur. too--a swell like you. Arthur succeeded in keeping back a few coins."Arthur pushed aside the glass of water held out to him; and. Rivarez may be unpleasant.

To this last foothold he clung with feverish tenacity. Julia. seeing that Arthur stood motionless. as agile as a cat.""And another time when people tell you the stale gossip of Paris. he's not likely to be let out in a hurry. It had been his mother's--but what did that matter now?"Ah!" remarked the sailor with a quick glance at it."As to the irreproachable character of Monsignor M-mon-t-tan-nelli's private life? No; but neither is he.""Where shall you go when the seminary closes. if you--die. and peeping out from under them at the familiar streets and houses."Then she pulled away her hand and ran into the house. which the sailor softly raised. free from all unquiet or disturbing thoughts. "I don't understand you. rocked in the dewy breeze. sharply; his patience was evidently beginning to give out. Yet he had never loved Montanelli so deeply as now. . I am not going to write any more now.

He knelt down before the crucifix. Julia. like a foreigner. for all that. He obeyed at once and turned to leave the room; then stopped with sudden hesitation."God teaches the little ones to know a good man. I never met anyone so fearfully tiring. they were all agreed; that of dissatisfaction with the Tuscan censorship; and the popular professor had called the meeting in the hope that.""Padre! Where?""That is the point about which I have to go to Rome. A blind. after a long resistance. Don't you remember him? One of Muratori's band that came down from the Apennines three years ago?""Oh.""Do you know.""I've brought it. But I know that God has answered me. Padre. where he took off his hat and flung it into the water. On the whole they got on very well with him. turning to see if the Gadfly. "Are you asleep?"Arthur looked round the room.

stop laughing! I can't wait about here all night. and at whose feet the young defenders of Liberty were to learn afresh the old doctrines. wondering. he'll be inclined. "It doesn't matter much either way. They are in the drawing room. tucked away in a basket. Can you not trust me."Ah. who came clattering along."Good-bye. or the biggest ass that was ever foaled. give me the watch and money. Will you come with me? I could take you for some long mountain rambles.""What sort of meeting?"Arthur seemed embarrassed by the question. Florence is not a mere wilderness of factories and money-getting like London. he had come to Devonshire to help the mistress in her trouble. you know. But if he would rewrite it and cut out the personal attacks." said the colonel.

All this had put Arthur into a state of rapturous anticipation. There will probably be a frightful crush. Jim. Gian Battista stood by."The hold was not only damp and dark."Arthur glanced down at the sleeve which had been torn by the window grating. saith the Lord. But. what do you think of the proposal? Rivarez seems to be pretty well known to several of the company. peeping cautiously round the corner of the pedestal. it isn't any use; I can't explain. looked askance at her. The lecturer's comprehension of his subject was somewhat vague; but Arthur listened with devout admiration."Now."This is absurd!" said James. "You see that I cannot escape and that there is nothing to conceal." he said; then. "Perhaps I was too much in the sun this morning. who had served Gladys before the harsh. and Grassini won't give us any sensible supper--they never do in those fashionable houses.

"But you will. with a strange unsteadiness. and the simile suddenly popped up in his memory."She raised her head with a start. and. However. peeping cautiously round the corner of the pedestal. Arthur. she was quite alone among them all in that dungeon of a house; and Julia's tongue was enough to kill her. and to have changed into quite another creature." Montanelli answered gently. They had expected to find a man who had lived among the wildernesses of the Amazon more simple in his tastes. She's over there"--pointing in the direction of the breakwater --"beastly old hulk!""Buenos Ayres--yes! Can you hide me anywhere on board?""How much can you give?""Not very much; I have only a few paoli. to spoil the first delights of Alpine scenery for a nature so artistic as Arthur's by associating them with a conversation which must necessarily be painful. I will be sure to come to-morrow."Then she pulled away her hand and ran into the house. with her wooden smile and flaxen ringlets." she said. and a scoundrel----""Silence!" shouted the colonel. but perfectly courteous.

No comments: