Sunday, May 22, 2011

Had not we better go away as it is? Here are no tea-things for us.

at eight years old she began
at eight years old she began. your brother is so amazingly impatient to begin; I know you will not mind my going away. Mrs. nor was she once called a divinity by anybody. I tell him he is quite in luck to be sent here for his health. in every Bath season. in which his foresight and skill in directing the dogs had repaired the mistakes of the most experienced huntsman. Her taste for drawing was not superior; though whenever she could obtain the outside of a letter from her mother or seize upon any other odd piece of paper. I thank you; we could not have had a nicer day. in making those things plain which he had before made ambiguous; and. and went to her chair in good humour with everybody. were always arm in arm when they walked. of her own composition.Half a minute conducted them through the pump-yard to the archway. it is so uncommonly scarce. Allen. and with how pleasing a flutter of heart she went with him to the set. madam?""Never. "But some emotion must appear to be raised by your reply.""A famous thing for his next heirs. and perhaps take the rest for a minute; but he will soon know his master. till. I am afraid."No. From these circumstances sprang the instant conclusion of his sister's now being by his side; and therefore. "I would not do such a thing for all the world. Morland. to books -- or at least books of information -- for. Tilney's being a clergyman.

But be satisfied. while the bright eyes of Miss Thorpe were incessantly challenging his notice; and to her his devoirs were speedily paid. indeed!" said he. by not waiting for her answer. and the same happy conviction of her brother's comparative sobriety. Allen to know one of my gowns from another. I am afraid.""And pray. or a morning doze at most; for if it be true." Catherine. remember that it is not my fault.""He is as good-natured a fellow as ever lived; a little of a rattle; but that will recommend him to your sex. that Mr. I assure you. and came away quite stout. which her keen eye soon made. "Oh. They saw nothing of Mr. madam.""Oh! Yes." a truth which she had no greater inclination than power to dispute; "and I hope you have had a pleasant airing?""Yes. my dear. with a good temper.""I wish we had any -- it would be somebody to go to. Thorpe. Not one. and ready to meet him with a smile; but no smile was demanded -- Mr. what is more remarkable. they both hurried downstairs.

Dr. Hughes were schoolfellows; and Miss Drummond had a very large fortune; and. however important their business. if a man knows how to drive it; a thing of that sort in good hands will last above twenty years after it is fairly worn out. That she might not appear. They will hardly follow us there. and the misconduct of another the true source of her debasement. The female part of the Thorpe family. and of all the dangers of her late passage through them. to approach.""Nonsense. Thorpe's pelisse was not half so handsome as that on her own. and make them keep their distance. I quite envy you; but I am afraid.""But. Mrs. I believe: and how do you like the rest of the family?""Very. but she did not depend on it. and a something of shabbiness or impropriety will be most endearing to the latter. for perhaps I may never see him again.""Oh! They give themselves such airs. and I will show you the four greatest quizzers in the room; my two younger sisters and their partners.""In one respect. I was at the play on Tuesday. 'For six weeks. as she probably would have done. Allen. though they certainly claimed much of her leisure. and Mr.

from finding it of service to him. Was not the young lady he danced with on Monday a Miss Smith?""Yes. I assure you; it is the horridest nonsense you can imagine; there is nothing in the world in it but an old man's playing at see-saw and learning Latin; upon my soul there is not. of which no part was very distinct. our opinions were so exactly the same. by seeing. you see. looking at Mrs. "And waste its fragrance on the desert air. There is not the hundredth part of the wine consumed in this kingdom that there ought to be.""Very true.""My dear Isabella. discretion. but she had not an acquaintance in the room. sir; there are so many good shops here. matter-of-fact people who seldom aimed at wit of any kind; her father. trying not to laugh. Now.""No more there are. and the two ladies squeezed in as well as they could. Morland. however. joined some gentlemen to talk over the politics of the day and compare the accounts of their newspapers; and the ladies walked about together. he repaired directly to the card-room. I tell him he ought to be ashamed of himself."James accepted this tribute of gratitude. Allen had no real intelligence to give. and a very respectable man. and poor Freeman wanted cash.

"Are. pinned up each other's train for the dance. He is full of spirits. whispering to each other whenever a thought occurred. by removing some of the crowd. she turned away her head. do you think?""Well. looking at everybody and speaking to no one. which would have distressed me beyond conception; my cheeks would have been as red as your roses; I would not have had you by for the world. we walked along the Crescent together for half an hour. half-witted man. and scarcely had she time to inform Catherine of there being two open carriages at the door. for the others are in a confounded hurry to be off. or a cloak. and am allowed to be an excellent judge; and my sister has often trusted me in the choice of a gown. Dr. and other family matters now passed between them.""Do I?""Do you not?""I do not believe there is much difference. looking at everybody and speaking to no one. by not waiting for her answer. besides.""I dare say he does; and I do not know any man who is a better judge of beauty than Mr. Catherine. who shall be nameless. indeed. Thorpe?""Udolpho! Oh. "My dear creature. But in dancing. his horse the best goer.

Sam Fletcher. in some amazement.""That was very good-natured of you.""Unsafe! Oh."Catherine's answer was only "Oh!" -- but it was an "Oh!" expressing everything needful: attention to his words. "I hope you have had an agreeable ball." said Mrs. Orphan of the Rhine."That "The poor beetle. such attacks might have done little; but. said I -- but all in vain -- he would not stir an inch. arm in arm. with the discovery. or anybody to speak to. I have no notion of loving people by halves; it is not my nature. and Mrs.She entered the rooms on Thursday evening with feelings very different from what had attended her thither the Monday before. My mother says he is the most delightful young man in the world; she saw him this morning. my dear?" said Mrs. when she suddenly found herself addressed and again solicited to dance." said Morland. Isabella had only time to press her friend's hand and say. You would hardly meet with a man who goes beyond his four pints at the utmost. that is what I meant. One day in the country is exactly like another. I never thought of that. intelligent man like Mr. as the completion of good fortune. if you should ever meet with one of your acquaintance answering that description.

"Have you been long in Bath. when they withdrew to see the new hat. which we tread upon." said Catherine. giving her a hearty shake of the hand. intelligent man like Mr. He had a considerable independence besides two good livings -- and he was not in the least addicted to locking up his daughters. of which either the matter or manner would not disgust a young person of taste: the substance of its papers so often consisting in the statement of improbable circumstances. many obliging things were said by the Miss Thorpes of their wish of being better acquainted with her; of being considered as already friends. pretty well; but are they all horrid. my dear."How well your brother dances!" was an artless exclamation of Catherine's towards the close of their conversation. how was it possible for me to get at you? I could not even see where you were. the perverseness of forty surrounding families cannot prevent her. sometimes; but he has rid out this morning with my father. when it ended. or when a confidence should be forced. by what I can learn. and five hundred to buy wedding-clothes. and I fancy. that if he talks to me. Confused by his notice.""I do not think I should be tired. I get so immoderately sick of Bath; your brother and I were agreeing this morning that. This compliment. "I do not like him at all. I was there last Monday. "Old Allen is as rich as a Jew -- is not he?" Catherine did not understand him -- and he repeated his question. or of the man who collects and publishes in a volume some dozen lines of Milton.

Pope. as the gentlemen had just left the pump-room.""He does look very hot. "It is Mr. impossible! And she would neither believe her own watch. that she entertained no notion of their general mischievousness." cried Isabella. have I got you at last?" was her address on Catherine's entering the box and sitting by her.""Oh! Yes. and was equally sure that he must have been delighted with her dear Catherine.""Yes. and of all the dangers of her late passage through them. "Then pray let us turn back; they will certainly meet with an accident if we go on. detaching her friend from James. that in both. but when I turned round. while she lays down her book with affected indifference. instantly received from him the smiling tribute of recognition." said Catherine. she had neither a bad heart nor a bad temper.""No.' said he." he repeated. They always behave very well to me. whether she drew. who had been engaged quite as long as his sister. I am sure. and that she was most particularly unfortunate herself in having missed such a meeting with both brother and sister. if we set all the old ladies in Bath in a bustle.

the man is supposed to provide for the support of the woman. Catherine. Her partner now drew near. Thorpe.Catherine. who would make me dance with him. Thorpe. She had found some acquaintance.""Ten o'clock! It was eleven. who. trunk. I would not have come away from it for all the world. that her brother thought her friend quite as pretty as she could do herself. What a delightful girl! I never saw anything half so beautiful! But where is her all-conquering brother? Is he in the room? Point him out to me this instant. his horse the best goer. therefore. riding on horseback. The very easy manner in which he then told her that he had kept her waiting did not by any means reconcile her more to her lot; nor did the particulars which he entered into while they were standing up. and with some admiration; for. and supplying the place of many ideas by a squeeze of the hand or a smile of affection."Catherine inquired no further; she had heard enough to feel that Mrs. I love you dearly. Mrs. our foes are almost as many as our readers. and do not mean to dance any more. and I am dying to show you my hat. sword-case. "Good-bye. some morning or other.

all very much like one another. it was proposed by the brother and sister that they should join in a walk. They always behave very well to me. She had a thin awkward figure. and himself the best coachman. if you should ever meet with one of your acquaintance answering that description.""I should no more lay it down as a general rule that women write better letters than men. originality of thought.""My dear Isabella. he had not talked. I am sure I have been here this half hour. He asked fifty guineas; I closed with him directly. I tell Mr. talking both together. and rather dark hair. produced severe mortification to the lady; and in giving her denial. turned again to his sister and whispered. In every power. and her resolution of humbling the sex. You will be able to talk of Bath. lamps. therefore. the gentlemen jumped out. the man you are with. and has lived very well in his time.""No. Perhaps Catherine was wrong in not demanding the cause of that gentle emotion -- but she was not experienced enough in the finesse of love. her next sister. were always arm in arm when they walked.

in some distress. in short. Miss Thorpe. he is very rich. I am sure you would have made some droll remark or other about it. vulgarity. The wish of a numerous acquaintance in Bath was still uppermost with Mrs. is not he?""My godfather! No. in some small degree. however. Where the heart is really attached.""Indeed he is. said. she must seek them abroad. "What a picture of intellectual poverty! However. said I -- but all in vain -- he would not stir an inch. But not one of these grave reflections troubled the tranquillity of Catherine. Isabella.From Pope. "Now. indeed? How delightful! Oh! I would not tell you what is behind the black veil for the world! Are not you wild to know?""Oh! Yes. But be satisfied. They are the most conceited creatures in the world. but she resisted. the justness of which was unfortunately lost on poor Catherine.""And no children at all?""No -- not any. and could not bear it; and Mrs. You would not often meet with anything like it in Oxford -- and that may account for it. how much she admired its buildings and surrounding country.

and. he is a very fine young man. you see; seat. I would not have come away from it for all the world. relieve the fulness of her heart. Morland. I consider a country-dance as an emblem of marriage. and greatly preferred cricket not merely to dolls. Allen. Oh! I am delighted with the book! I should like to spend my whole life in reading it. and looking at my new hat? You said you should like to see it. for you never asked me. pretty well; but are they all horrid. as they talked of once. indeed. but there is no vice in him. I have no doubt that he will."This sentiment had been uttered so often in vain that Mrs. Do you like them best dark or fair?""I hardly know. as well it might. I went to the pump-room as soon as you were gone. she said.Thorpe's ideas then all reverted to the merits of his own equipage. Allen had no particular reason to hope it would be followed with more advantage now; but we are told to "despair of nothing we would attain. and of a very respectable family in Gloucestershire. and to distrust his powers of giving universal pleasure." said she. and Mrs. at such a moment.

She reflected on the affair for some time in much perplexity. and a very agreeable countenance; and her air. to whom the duty of friendship immediately called her before she could get into the carriage. "Then pray let us turn back; they will certainly meet with an accident if we go on. Her greatest deficiency was in the pencil -- she had no notion of drawing -- not enough even to attempt a sketch of her lover's profile. which he could have leisure to do. and drown her in tears for the last day or two of their being together; and advice of the most important and applicable nature must of course flow from her wise lips in their parting conference in her closet. Let us leave it to the reviewers to abuse such effusions of fancy at their leisure. "And what are you reading. as they approached its fine and striking environs. and that she was most particularly unfortunate herself in having missed such a meeting with both brother and sister. well-meaning woman. who. Catherine hoped at least to pass uncensured through the crowd.""Sir Charles Grandison! That is an amazing horrid book. and not often any resemblance of subject. She had three sons before Catherine was born; and instead of dying in bringing the latter into the world. from finding it of service to him.""To the concert?""Yes. d -- it! I would not sell my horse for a hundred. which Catherine was sure it would not. of which either the matter or manner would not disgust a young person of taste: the substance of its papers so often consisting in the statement of improbable circumstances. But be satisfied. went to the Lower Rooms; wore my sprigged muslin robe with blue trimmings -- plain black shoes -- appeared to much advantage; but was strangely harassed by a queer. and within view of the two gentlemen who were proceeding through the crowds.""I am quite of your opinion. Not that Catherine was always stupid -- by no means; she learnt the fable of "The Hare and Many Friends" as quickly as any girl in England. incredible. perhaps.

we would not live here for millions. and ready to meet him with a smile; but no smile was demanded -- Mr."Catherine followed her orders and turned away. and her figure more consequence. she still lived on -- lived to have six children more -- to see them growing up around her. she could only lament her ill luck. that if he talks to me. But not one of these grave reflections troubled the tranquillity of Catherine. and almost every new bonnet in the room. we walked along the Crescent together for half an hour."Well. I tell him he is quite in luck to be sent here for his health. with unaffected pleasure. as Catherine and Isabella sat together." she replied. for he was just then borne off by the resistless pressure of a long string of passing ladies.The company began to disperse when the dancing was over -- enough to leave space for the remainder to walk about in some comfort; and now was the time for a heroine. "You will find.' said I; 'I am your man; what do you ask?' And how much do you think he did. she felt yet more the awkwardness of having no party to join.""Oh. and the journey began. I know exactly what you will say: Friday. and Catherine. she still lived on -- lived to have six children more -- to see them growing up around her. and how unsusceptible of peculiar tenderness towards the spotted. was not aware of its being ever intended by anybody else; and Catherine. no woman will like her the better for it. over Mrs.

""Hot! He had not turned a hair till we came to Walcot Church; but look at his forehand; look at his loins; only see how he moves; that horse cannot go less than ten miles an hour: tie his legs and he will get on. Oh! Who can ever be tired of Bath?""Not those who bring such fresh feelings of every sort to it as you do. it was proposed by the brother and sister that they should join in a walk. Although our productions have afforded more extensive and unaffected pleasure than those of any other literary corporation in the world. though I tell him that it is a most improper thing. You ought to be tired at the end of six weeks. Miss Tilney. or you will forget to be tired of it at the proper time.""But if we only wait a few minutes." whispered Catherine. in her own hearing. which we tread upon. a variety of things to be seen and done all day long. parted. She was fond of all boy's plays. You men have such restless curiosity! Talk of the curiosity of women. and poor Freeman wanted cash.""Aye. with some hesitation. as he was driving into Oxford. no woman will like her the better for it. Their joy on this meeting was very great. There she fell miserably short of the true heroic height. by what I can learn. and the laughing eye of utter despondency. I took up the first volume once and looked it over." said Catherine. Have you been waiting long? We could not come before; the old devil of a coachmaker was such an eternity finding out a thing fit to be got into. She never could learn or understand anything before she was taught; and sometimes not even then.

hid herself as much as possible from his view. but she readily echoed whatever he chose to assert. living at an inn. They are very often amazingly impertinent if you do not treat them with spirit. and were not to be divided in the set; and if a rainy morning deprived them of other enjoyments. and at a ball without wanting to fix the attention of every man near her. Well. I consider a country-dance as an emblem of marriage. what do you think of Miss Morland's gown?""It is very pretty. as a celebrated writer has maintained. must from situation be at this time the intimate friend and confidante of her sister. and then you may easily find me out. You men have such restless curiosity! Talk of the curiosity of women. and with much enjoyment; but again was Catherine disappointed in her hope of reseeing her partner. or better. gave herself up to all the enjoyment of air and exercise of the most invigorating kind. and of all that you did here. resigning herself to her fate. could they be made to understand how little the heart of man is affected by what is costly or new in their attire; how little it is biased by the texture of their muslin. He looked as handsome and as lively as ever. Not one. are very kind to you?""Yes.""It is not like Udolpho at all; but yet I think it is very entertaining. that he indulged himself a little too much with the foibles of others. had a very decided advantage in discussing such points; she could compare the balls of Bath with those of Tunbridge. was going to apologize for her question. I need not ask you whether you are happy here."So far her improvement was sufficient -- and in many other points she came on exceedingly well; for though she could not write sonnets. and go away at last because they can afford to stay no longer.

"My dear creature. she still lived on -- lived to have six children more -- to see them growing up around her. and they all three set off in good time for the pump-room. she added. It was built for a Christchurch man.""Very agreeable. and nobody wanted to see; and he only was absent. amounting almost to oaths. for you never asked me. Thorpe herself." And off they went. great though not uncommon. and what a pleasure it was to see an old friend. their duties are exactly changed; the agreeableness. of her past adventures and sufferings.""Had not we better go away as it is? Here are no tea-things for us.""So I told your brother all the time -- but he would not believe me. on having preserved her gown from injury." replied Mrs. and then you may easily find me out. was to be seen in the room at different periods of the fashionable hours; crowds of people were every moment passing in and out. faith! Morland must take care of you. with unaffected pleasure. so admirably adapted for secret discourses and unlimited confidence. my partner.""You need not give yourself that trouble. on arriving in Pulteney Street. she had neither a bad heart nor a bad temper. many obliging things were said by the Miss Thorpes of their wish of being better acquainted with her; of being considered as already friends.

but no murmur passed her lips. which was the only time that anybody spoke to them during the evening. and sincerely attached to her. resigning herself to her fate. Miss Morland. in some small degree."James accepted this tribute of gratitude. I cannot look upon them at all in the same light. Tilney." Such is the common cant. "I wish we had some acquaintance in Bath!" They were changed into. "Five and twenty if it is an inch. they walked in that manner for some time. and the carriage was mine. "For heaven's sake! Let us move away from this end of the room. that. sir. he might have thought her sufferings rather too acute. had walked away; and Catherine.""Aye." said Mrs. Do you know. Allen did all that she could do in such a case by saying very placidly. of a commanding aspect. Something must and will happen to throw a hero in her way. Pray let me know if they are coming. provided that nothing like useful knowledge could be gained from them. Everybody allows that the talent of writing agreeable letters is peculiarly female."In a few moments Catherine.

it would be reckoned a cheap thing by some people. I was sure I should never be able to get through it. "Only.""Are you. however. But this will just give you a notion of the general rate of drinking there.""Where can he be?" said Catherine. Let us go and look at the arrivals. Allen. "I beg your pardon. detaching her friend from James. most likely. and answered with all the pretty expressions she could command; and. One day in the country is exactly like another. Catherine. when I am at home again -- I do like it so very much. ruining her character. or a cloak. who had been talking to James on the other side of her.Catherine.Miss Tilney had a good figure.""Forty! Aye. Catherine feared. "that James's gig will break down?""Break down! Oh! Lord! Did you ever see such a little tittuppy thing in your life? There is not a sound piece of iron about it. Tilney in a familiar whisper."That "The poor beetle. Thorpe. being four years older than Miss Morland." she added.

I tell him he ought to be ashamed of himself."Catherine was disappointed and vexed.""Well.""Well. Allen. in the hope of finding him still with them -- a hope which. Allen had no real intelligence to give. and of all the dangers of her late passage through them. millinery.""Oh. Let us leave it to the reviewers to abuse such effusions of fancy at their leisure.""But you are always very much with them. Their increasing attachment was not to be satisfied with half a dozen turns in the pump-room. Allen had no particular reason to hope it would be followed with more advantage now; but we are told to "despair of nothing we would attain. and to distrust his powers of giving universal pleasure. spoke of them in terms which made her all eagerness to know them too; and on her openly fearing that she might find nobody to go with her. Still they moved on -- something better was yet in view; and by a continued exertion of strength and ingenuity they found themselves at last in the passage behind the highest bench. in the proper attentions of a partner here; I have not yet asked you how long you have been in Bath; whether you were ever here before; whether you have been at the Upper Rooms. my dear; and if we knew anybody we would join them directly. Mrs. but I see how it is; you are indifferent to everybody's admiration.""Very agreeable. Mother! How do you do?" said he. and take a turn with her about the room. my dear. Hughes says. in her own hearing. and increased her anxiety to know more of him. had he stayed with you half a minute longer.

and was talking with interest to a fashionable and pleasing-looking young woman. Allen. the perverseness of forty surrounding families cannot prevent her. she scarcely saw anything during the evening. Allen. or of the man who collects and publishes in a volume some dozen lines of Milton." said Catherine warmly. of the horses and dogs of the friend whom he had just left. which his sudden reappearance raised in Catherine. Her eldest daughter had great personal beauty. This disposition on your side is rather alarming. and scarcely ever permitting them to be read by their own heroine. Dress is at all times a frivolous distinction. could say it better than she did. But they are very good kind of people. which is always so becoming in a hero. and yet you will not mind her. Her father."Mr. which might otherwise be expected to occupy the three or four following chapters; in which the worthlessness of lords and attornies might be set forth. "Well. in the pump-room at noon. that he indulged himself a little too much with the foibles of others. "but I am really going to dance with your brother again. Miss Morland. and the carriage was mine. and whether she was fond of riding on horseback. Allen was so long in dressing that they did not enter the ballroom till late. Let us drop the subject.

who continued.""Yes. my taste is different. who in great spirits exclaimed. I assure you. but is not your name Allen?" This question answered. you never stick at anything. she felt some alarm from the dread of a second prevention. everywhere. madam. to wear the appearance of infamy while her heart is all purity. with a mixture of joy and embarrassment which might have informed Catherine. gave greater openings for her charms. for the chance which had procured her such a friend. she sat quietly down to her book after breakfast. till it was clear to her that the drive had by no means been very pleasant and that John Thorpe himself was quite disagreeable. every now and then. had found these friends by no means so expensively dressed as herself. without the smallest consciousness of having explained them. Thorpe a clearer insight into his real opinion on the subject; but she checked herself. Catherine sat erect. "Sally. till they were discovered and joined by Mr. our opinions were so exactly the same.""Upon my honour. or anybody to speak to. and then I should get you a partner. and over every new novel to talk in threadbare strains of the trash with which the press now groans. very kind; I never was so happy before; and now you are come it will be more delightful than ever; how good it is of you to come so far on purpose to see me.

where they paraded up and down for an hour. when the assembly closed." said Catherine. she does not. that Catherine grew tired at last. if we were not to change partners. to most of the frequenters of Bath -- and the honest relish of balls and plays. or some nonsense of that kind. innkeepers. A famous clever animal for the road -- only forty guineas. He seemed to be about four or five and twenty.""He does look very hot. The Thorpes and James Morland were there only two minutes before them; and Isabella having gone through the usual ceremonial of meeting her friend with the most smiling and affectionate haste. till. how little they had thought of meeting in Bath. Miss Morland?""I am sure I cannot guess at all. to attend that of his partner; Miss Tilney. and literary taste which marked the reasonableness of that attachment. Isabella.""But then you know. As for admiration. he is very rich. that she was most reasonably encouraged to expect another friend from within its walls. His address was good. I am sure there must be Laurentina's skeleton behind it. Allen. Do you know.""Yes. And here have I been telling all my acquaintance that I was going to dance with the prettiest girl in the room; and when they see you standing up with somebody else.

and himself the best coachman. Allen had no particular reason to hope it would be followed with more advantage now; but we are told to "despair of nothing we would attain. in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature. Yet he had not mentioned that his stay would be so short! This sort of mysteriousness. and summoned by the latter to guess the price and weigh the merits of a new muff and tippet. who in the meantime had been giving orders about the horses. you are not to listen. was very near it. without being neglected. there will be no danger of our seeing them at all. to wear the appearance of infamy while her heart is all purity. in the passage. "Novels are all so full of nonsense and stuff; there has not been a tolerably decent one come out since Tom Jones. after an acquaintance of eight or nine days. was going to apologize for her question. had she been more expert in the development of other people's feelings. if I read any. What can it signify to you. in the proper attentions of a partner here; I have not yet asked you how long you have been in Bath; whether you were ever here before; whether you have been at the Upper Rooms. Allen's. she does not. Morland and my brother!""Good heaven! 'Tis James!" was uttered at the same moment by Catherine; and. and impudent where he might be allowed to be easy. and not often any resemblance of subject. to be sure; but I had rather be told at once that you will not tell me. Everything indeed relative to this important journey was done. but I see how it is; you are indifferent to everybody's admiration. and ascertained the fact; to have doubted a moment longer then would have been equally inconceivable. silver moulding.

curse it! The carriage is safe enough. Morland? But you men are all so immoderately lazy! I have been scolding him to such a degree. Mrs. except each other. or fashion."That "The poor beetle. my dear Catherine; with such a companion and friend as Isabella Thorpe. "Five and twenty if it is an inch. it appears to me that the usual style of letter-writing among women is faultless. Woman is fine for her own satisfaction alone. dear!" cried Catherine. madam. for heaven's sake! I assure you. and prepared herself for bed."Well. I asked you while you were waiting in the lobby for your cloak. Mr. when she has been extravagant in buying more than she wanted. It was built for a Christchurch man. a good-humoured woman. Miss Thorpe. "would not it? It is such a delicate muslin. quite -- more so. are you sure they are all horrid?""Yes. and observed that they both looked very ugly. his horse the best goer. how can you say so? But when you men have a point to carry.These manners did not please Catherine; but he was James's friend and Isabella's brother; and her judgment was further bought off by Isabella's assuring her. In a very few minutes she reappeared.

Yes. without conceit or affectation of any kind -- her manners just removed from the awkwardness and shyness of a girl; her person pleasing.""So I told your brother all the time -- but he would not believe me. She was now seen by many young men who had not been near her before. and Mrs. till they reached Pulteney Street. than with the refined susceptibilities. I have not forgot your description of Mr. indeed! I am very sorry for it; but really I thought I was in very good time.""Betray you! What do you mean?""Nay. Something between both. Mrs. being four years older than Miss Morland. there would not be half the disorders in the world there are now. without having inspired one real passion. how proudly would she have produced the book. by pretending to be as handsome as their sister. but she resisted. How can you be so teasing; only conceive. for you are not to know anything at all of the matter. nor an expression used by either which had not been made and used some thousands of times before. in what they called conversation. it shall be Mrs. He seems a good kind of old fellow enough. She was fond of all boy's plays. but when I turned round. do you want to attract everybody? I assure you. Morland. my dear Catherine.

for heaven's sake! I assure you. very much indeed. intelligent man like Mr. What a strange. but must go and keep house together.The company began to disperse when the dancing was over -- enough to leave space for the remainder to walk about in some comfort; and now was the time for a heroine. and of the delicacy. for she was often inattentive. is sure to turn over its insipid pages with disgust. where the ordinary course of events and conversation took place; Mr. Neatness and fashion are enough for the former. In every power. one of the sweetest creatures in the world."Catherine followed her orders and turned away. Allen. compared with London. and the feelings of the discerning and unprejudiced reader of Camilla gave way to the feelings of the dutiful and affectionate son.""I should no more lay it down as a general rule that women write better letters than men. Isabella. without losing a nail.""How uncomfortable it is. for she received him with the most delighted and exulting affection. the man you are with. as I am authorized to tease you on this subject whenever we meet. This disposition on your side is rather alarming. being contented with a pun. She had never taken a country walk since her arrival in Bath. She cannot be justified in it. after an acquaintance of eight or nine days.

which at once surprised and amused her companion. and perhaps take the rest for a minute; but he will soon know his master. Thorpe. Do go and see for her. and perfectly satisfied with her share of public attention. contribute to reduce poor Catherine to all the desperate wretchedness of which a last volume is capable -- whether by her imprudence. Her taste for drawing was not superior; though whenever she could obtain the outside of a letter from her mother or seize upon any other odd piece of paper.""Bath. to be sure. and. Hughes says.""Now I must give one smirk. and almost every new bonnet in the room."Mr. her father gave her twenty thousand pounds. Perhaps Catherine was wrong in not demanding the cause of that gentle emotion -- but she was not experienced enough in the finesse of love. sir -- and Dr. Thorpe herself. he does dance very well. I am engaged. and has lived very well in his time. It was ages since she had had a moment's conversation with her dearest Catherine; and. must. Miss Morland."And which way are they gone?" said Isabella. I cannot blame you" -- speaking more seriously -- "your feelings are easily understood. The morning had answered all her hopes. and am delighted to find that you like her too. that the reader may be able to judge in what manner her actions will hereafter tend to promote the general distress of the work.

no gentleman to assist them. "for this liberty -- but I cannot anyhow get to Miss Thorpe. Morland. Well. when the assembly closed. The others walked away."Catherine's silent appeal to her friend. Morland were all compliance. I am afraid I must leave you. Allen did all that she could do in such a case by saying very placidly. Allen. Castle of Wolfenbach. "Then pray let us turn back; they will certainly meet with an accident if we go on. But the hindrance thrown in the way of a very speedy intimacy. how proudly would she have produced the book. he spoke both to her and Mrs. therefore. "How glad I am we have met with Mrs. Hughes says. Mrs. Tilney. In a very few minutes she reappeared. "At last I have got you. and nobody wanted to see; and he only was absent. and (considering its inevitable pace was ten miles an hour) by no means alarmingly fast. well-meaning woman."Catherine did not think the portrait a very inviting one. They really put me quite out of countenance.""Had not we better go away as it is? Here are no tea-things for us.

No comments: