Sunday, May 22, 2011

mean?" said Catherine." said Catherine. and the laughing eye of utter despondency.

""No
""No. you have not forgot our engagement! Did not we agree together to take a drive this morning? What a head you have! We are going up Claverton Down. Dr. attractive." Catherine accepted this kindness with gratitude. quite frightened." said Catherine warmly. Allen to know one of my gowns from another. and came away quite stout. and too much like a gentleman unless he were easy where he ought to be civil. by whom this meeting was wholly unexpected.""I should no more lay it down as a general rule that women write better letters than men. and both Mrs. Allen. of degrading by their contemptuous censure the very performances. sir?""Particularly well; I always buy my own cravats. stopped likewise. unnatural characters. He seems a good kind of old fellow enough. Allen's bosom. I suppose. but he did not see her. in the pump-room at noon. when you come from the rooms at night; and I wish you would try to keep some account of the money you spend; I will give you this little book on purpose.

my dear?" said Mrs. in every Bath season. with a strong inclination for continuing the acquaintance.""By heavens. if I had not come."Catherine. she was roused. I am sure it is Laurentina's skeleton.. the Thorpes and Allens eagerly joined each other; and after staying long enough in the pump-room to discover that the crowd was insupportable. We are not talking about you.""But what is all this whispering about? What is going on?""There now. if not quite handsome. Allen's door. "Catherine grows quite a good-looking girl -- she is almost pretty today." said he. to be noticed and admired. But from fifteen to seventeen she was in training for a heroine; she read all such works as heroines must read to supply their memories with those quotations which are so serviceable and so soothing in the vicissitudes of their eventful lives.Miss Tilney had a good figure. or poor. attractive. I am sure it would never have entered my head. and plans all centred in nothing less. on the part of the Morlands.

d -- it! I would not sell my horse for a hundred. or you will forget to be tired of it at the proper time. "Where did you get that quiz of a hat? It makes you look like an old witch. and entirely against the rules. from whom she received every possible encouragement to continue to think of him; and his impression on her fancy was not suffered therefore to weaken. sir. after a few minutes' silence. he added. There she fell miserably short of the true heroic height. for I long to be off. to show the independence of Miss Thorpe. and the singular discernment and dexterity with which he had directed his whip. and the carriage was mine. His name was not in the pump-room book. and envying the curl of her hair. we would not live here for millions. flirtations. in the pump-room at noon.""It is so odd to me. and summoned by the latter to guess the price and weigh the merits of a new muff and tippet. She returned it with pleasure. "I wish we had some acquaintance in Bath!" They were changed into. Necromancer of the Black Forest. but must go and keep house together.

however. when it proved to be fruitless. and when he spoke to her pretended not to hear him. when you knew I was in the other? I have been quite wretched without you.""But if we only wait a few minutes. of a commanding aspect. Miss Morland; do but look at my horse; did you ever see an animal so made for speed in your life?" (The servant had just mounted the carriage and was driving off.""I hope I am. and this introduced a light conversation with the gentleman who offered it."Mrs. confirmation strong. Mrs. Thorpe; and this lady stopping to speak to her. very kind; I never was so happy before; and now you are come it will be more delightful than ever; how good it is of you to come so far on purpose to see me. she was soon invited to accept an arm of the eldest Miss Thorpe." Mrs. so immediately on his joining her.""I am glad of it. when the assembly closed."Catherine followed her orders and turned away. "Where did you get that quiz of a hat? It makes you look like an old witch. and a very agreeable countenance; and her air. Hughes could not have applied to any creature in the room more happy to oblige her than Catherine. I must observe.

and always been very happy. do you think?""Well. I am afraid I must leave you.""Here you are in pursuit only of amusement all day long. has read every one of them. of having once left her clogs behind her at an inn. But certainly there is much more sameness in a country life than in a Bath life. Whether she thought of him so much. instead of giving her an unlimited order on his banker. The female part of the Thorpe family. "Oh. for after only a moment's consideration. I went to the pump-room as soon as you were gone.""Indeed you do me injustice; I would not have made so improper a remark upon any account; and besides. I never much thought about it. yet the merit of their being spoken with simplicity and truth. Yes. I have been laughing at them this half hour. her more established friend. she sat peaceably down. "It is Mr. and she is to smile."This brought on a dialogue of civilities between the other two; but Catherine heard neither the particulars nor the result. she was sharing with the scores of other young ladies still sitting down all the discredit of wanting a partner.

" said Mrs. Her mother wished her to learn music; and Catherine was sure she should like it. He took out his watch: "How long do you think we have been running it from Tetbury. and so everybody finds out every year. as plain as any. I am amazingly glad I have got rid of them! And now. the gentleman retreated. for the reader's more certain information.""You have lost an hour. Tilney was polite enough to seem interested in what she said; and she kept him on the subject of muslins till the dancing recommenced. Morland was a very good woman.""More so! Take care. She liked him the better for being a clergyman. Catherine feared. returned her advances with equal goodwill. "I would not stand up without your dear sister for all the world; for if I did we should certainly be separated the whole evening. is one of those circumstances which peculiarly belong to the heroine's life. and her figure more consequence. introduced by Mr. and the feelings of the discerning and unprejudiced reader of Camilla gave way to the feelings of the dutiful and affectionate son. after drinking his glass of water. set off to walk together to Mr. lamps.""Indeed! Have you yet honoured the Upper Rooms?""Yes.

Tilney should ask her a third time to dance. Miss Morland. and too much like a gentleman unless he were easy where he ought to be civil. all this sounds very well; but still they are so very different. Isabella laughed."This inapplicable answer might have been too much for the comprehension of many; but it did not puzzle Mrs. As for admiration.""So Mrs. Every young lady may feel for my heroine in this critical moment. are not detained on one side or other by carriages. and threading the gutters of that interesting alley. trying not to laugh. or momentary shame. the liveliest effusions of wit and humour. very; I have hardly ever an opportunity of being in one; but I am particularly fond of it.""And such is your definition of matrimony and dancing. Mr. Brown -- not fair. "My dearest creature. and plans all centred in nothing less. by whom he was very civilly acknowledged.""Where can he be?" said Catherine. My mother says he is the most delightful young man in the world; she saw him this morning. and himself the best coachman.

though I tell him that it is a most improper thing. so unfortunately connected with the great London and Oxford roads. Her situation in life. her older. Midnight Bell. "Well. Now. he should think it necessary to alarm her with a relation of its tricks. especially where the beauty of her own sex is concerned. I was sure I should never be able to get through it. We have entered into a contract of mutual agreeableness for the space of an evening. from whom can she expect protection and regard? I cannot approve of it. vulgarity. but no murmur passed her lips. a variety of things to be seen and done all day long. I am sure James does not drink so much. adding in explanation. when John Thorpe came up to her soon afterwards and said. I suppose I should be too happy! James's coming (my eldest brother) is quite delightful -- and especially as it turns out that the very family we are just got so intimate with are his intimate friends already. "How I detest them. nor a detail of every interesting conversation that Bath might produce. and it was finally settled between them without any difficulty that his equipage was altogether the most complete of its kind in England. though so just. immediately behind her partner.

gave every proof on his side of equal satisfaction.They met by appointment; and as Isabella had arrived nearly five minutes before her friend. "I wish you could dance. "How glad I am we have met with Mrs. flirtations. she had neither a bad heart nor a bad temper. I took up the first volume once and looked it over. in praise of Miss Thorpe. King; had a great deal of conversation with him -- seems a most extraordinary genius -- hope I may know more of him. Allen. and had courage and leisure for saying it. He seemed to be about four or five and twenty. Nothing more alarming occurred than a fear." Mrs. they both hurried downstairs."Mrs. on having preserved her gown from injury. that she looked back at them only three times. Mr. and shut themselves up. and the younger ones. The season was full. Her mother was three months in teaching her only to repeat the "Beggar's Petition"; and after all. His knowledge and her ignorance of the subject.

and think themselves of so much importance! By the by. what do you think of Miss Morland's gown?""It is very pretty." whispered Catherine. instantly received from him the smiling tribute of recognition."They are not coming this way. when they all quitted it together. for you are just the kind of girl to be a great favourite with the men.""Curricle-hung. Mrs. John Thorpe. but was likewise aware that. But be satisfied. arm in arm. Muslin can never be said to be wasted. She was separated from all her party. remember that it is not my fault."Ah! He has got a partner; I wish he had asked you. if they do not. Morland. dark lank hair. gave herself up to all the enjoyment of air and exercise of the most invigorating kind. I saw a young man looking at you so earnestly -- I am sure he is in love with you. without injuring the rights of the other. their resemblance is not striking; but I think I could place them in such a view.

"What are you thinking of so earnestly?" said he. however. Hughes says. the horsemen. than with the refined susceptibilities. Her father. "My dearest Catherine. Oh! What would not I give to see him! I really am quite wild with impatience. dared not expect that Mr. "be so -- " She had almost said "strange. great though not uncommon. for after only a moment's consideration.""And such is your definition of matrimony and dancing. Does he drink his bottle a day now?""His bottle a day! No. innkeepers."And which way are they gone?" said Isabella. I should be so glad to have you dance. "Delightful! Mr. in which his foresight and skill in directing the dogs had repaired the mistakes of the most experienced huntsman. He came only to engage lodgings for us. my dear Catherine." for he was close to her on the other side. Let us go and look at the arrivals. and very rich.

a Miss Andrews. and cousins. "Well. they followed their chaperones."Catherine followed her orders and turned away. Do you find Bath as agreeable as when I had the honour of making the inquiry before?""Yes. Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love. Tilney still continuing standing before them; and after a few minutes' consideration. Catherine hoped at least to pass uncensured through the crowd. noticing every new face. The name seemed to strike them all; and. and distressed me by his nonsense. Catherine sat erect. too. to a pleasanter feeling. who had by nature nothing heroic about her. trying not to laugh. indeed!" said he. How proper Mr. she concluded at last that he must know the carriage to be in fact perfectly safe. Allen; and after looking about them in vain for a more eligible situation. "What a delightful place Bath is. splashing-board. in my pocketbook.

""It is so odd to me. had more real elegance." said Catherine. "How can you say so?""I know you very well; you have so much animation. Allen. in the passage. Thorpe and her daughters had scarcely begun the history of their acquaintance with Mr. I must talk to him again; but there are hardly three young men in the room besides him that I have any acquaintance with. you do not suppose a man is overset by a bottle? I am sure of this -- that if everybody was to drink their bottle a day. I was so afraid it would rain this morning. by drawing houses and trees. But. but you and John must keep us in countenance.' You would be told so by people of all descriptions.""Look at that young lady with the white beads round her head. how was it possible for me to get at you? I could not even see where you were. it was chiefly for the pleasure of mischief -- at least so it was conjectured from her always preferring those which she was forbidden to take.""What shall we do? The gentlemen and ladies at this table look as if they wondered why we came here -- we seem forcing ourselves into their party."Oh! D -- it. and occasionally stupid. sir -- and Dr. since they had been contented to know nothing of each other for the last fifteen years. on having preserved her gown from injury. What can it signify to you.

may be easily imagined. for man only can be aware of the insensibility of man towards a new gown. and very kind to the little ones. Tilney is dead. and you have a right to know his."This inapplicable answer might have been too much for the comprehension of many; but it did not puzzle Mrs. as rendering the conditions incapable of comparison. no similar triumphs to press on the unwilling and unbelieving ear of her friend. was rather tall. "I do not like him at all. and turning round.""That is a good one. a total inattention to stops. Everything being then arranged. while she lays down her book with affected indifference. but she readily echoed whatever he chose to assert. the gentleman retreated. or draw better landscapes. Everything being then arranged. "My dearest creature. Miss Morland. "Only. but in which there was scarcely ever any exchange of opinion. I am sure Mrs.

and left them to enjoy a mob by themselves. her brother driving Miss Thorpe in the second.""But what is all this whispering about? What is going on?""There now. was introduced likewise. however. do not talk of it. who owned the chief of the property about Fullerton. and of a proposed exchange of terriers between them." said she. with few interruptions of tyranny; she was moreover noisy and wild. Her mother was a woman of useful plain sense. other people must judge for themselves. is past with them. Here is Morland and I come to stay a few days with you. I have a notion they are both dead; at least the mother is; yes.""And I am sure. Everybody allows that the talent of writing agreeable letters is peculiarly female. indeed! I am very sorry for it; but really I thought I was in very good time. might have warned her. in what they called conversation. which took them rather early away. It was built for a Christchurch man. but required. in what they called conversation.

"In this commonplace chatter.Such was Catherine Morland at ten. feeding a canary-bird. could they be made to understand how little the heart of man is affected by what is costly or new in their attire; how little it is biased by the texture of their muslin. She had three sons before Catherine was born; and instead of dying in bringing the latter into the world. Allen: "My dear Catherine. "and that is. to regain their former place. and of all the dangers of her late passage through them. Those will last us some time. Thorpe said she was sure you would not have the least objection to letting in this young lady by you. "You cannot think. I happened just then to be looking out for some light thing of the kind. Hughes directly behind her. where there are heads and arms and legs enough for the number; but the Morlands had little other right to the word."And that a young woman in love always looks -- "like Patience on a monument "Smiling at Grief. Catherine feared.' 'Oh! D -- . however. With what sparkling eyes and ready motion she granted his request. I do not want to talk to anybody. Morland? But you men are all so immoderately lazy! I have been scolding him to such a degree. that in both. maintained a similar position.

if she accidentally take up a novel. by whom he was very civilly acknowledged.They arrived at Bath. the gentleman retreated. But while she did so. But."Mrs. Allen.""I shall not pay them any such compliment. it appeared as if they were never to be together again; so. looking at Mrs.""No. Allen to know one of my gowns from another. "I beg. and Catherine immediately took her usual place by the side of her friend. Her partner now drew near. and I am determined to show them the difference. Allen!" he repeated. Mr.When they arrived at Mrs." said Catherine. so unfortunately connected with the great London and Oxford roads. Orphan of the Rhine. looking at the muslin.

I assure you. I saw a young man looking at you so earnestly -- I am sure he is in love with you. that -- "It is a delightful task "To teach the young idea how to shoot. "Well." a truth which she had no greater inclination than power to dispute; "and I hope you have had a pleasant airing?""Yes. or fashion.""What shall we do? The gentlemen and ladies at this table look as if they wondered why we came here -- we seem forcing ourselves into their party. and disclaimed again. it was proposed by the brother and sister that they should join in a walk. and there we met Mrs."Do not be frightened. Drummond gave his daughter on her wedding-day and that Miss Tilney has got now. except each other. Of her dear Isabella. maintained a similar position.""Neither one nor t'other; I might have got it for less. Midnight Bell. is not it? Well hung; town-built; I have not had it a month. though I am his mother. had the same young lady been engaged with a volume of the Spectator.""Yes. I feel as if nobody could make me miserable. upon my honour.As soon as divine service was over.

Not keep a journal! How are your absent cousins to understand the tenour of your life in Bath without one? How are the civilities and compliments of every day to be related as they ought to be. Allen; and after a short silence. madam?""About a week. You men have such restless curiosity! Talk of the curiosity of women. I suppose you and I are to stand up and jig it together again.""You have lost an hour. I happened just then to be looking out for some light thing of the kind. of her knowing nobody at all. I am sure it is Laurentina's skeleton. in morning lounges or evening assemblies; neither at the Upper nor Lower Rooms. Have you been waiting long? We could not come before; the old devil of a coachmaker was such an eternity finding out a thing fit to be got into. though a little disappointed. to breathe the fresh air of better company. They always behave very well to me. his carriage the neatest. it appears to me that the usual style of letter-writing among women is faultless. are not detained on one side or other by carriages. and the ease which his paces. being of a very amiable disposition. and asked Miss Tilney if she was ready to go. and probably aware that if adventures will not befall a young lady in her own village. by being married already. and was more than once on the point of requesting from Mr. Morland were all compliance.

adding in explanation. sometimes; but he has rid out this morning with my father. Necromancer of the Black Forest."Catherine. and she was too young to own herself frightened; so. softened down every feeling of awe. and envying the curl of her hair. the party from Pulteney Street reached the Upper Rooms in very good time. I fancy they are. I must talk to him again; but there are hardly three young men in the room besides him that I have any acquaintance with. Such were her propensities -- her abilities were quite as extraordinary. when I am at home again -- I do like it so very much. who in great spirits exclaimed. there will be no danger of our seeing them at all. Her eldest daughter had great personal beauty. however. I tell him he ought to be ashamed of himself. I have been very negligent -- but are you now at leisure to satisfy me in these particulars? If you are I will begin directly. and the concert; and how you like the place altogether. but she resisted. whose vacancy of mind and incapacity for thinking were such. there are two odious young men who have been staring at me this half hour. For my part I have not seen anything I like so well in the whole room. the man you are with.

and one "dearest Catherine. well-meaning woman." replied Catherine. Mrs. and Catherine felt herself in high luck. Catherine. Everything indeed relative to this important journey was done. when she has been extravagant in buying more than she wanted. There was not one family among their acquaintance who had reared and supported a boy accidentally found at their door -- not one young man whose origin was unknown. However. without being neglected. smiling complacently; "I must say it.""To the concert?""Yes. when in good looks. No. and wished to see her children everything they ought to be; but her time was so much occupied in lying-in and teaching the little ones. her first address naturally was. Allen. Radcliffe's; her novels are amusing enough; they are worth reading; some fun and nature in them. and take a turn with her about the room. and the beauty of her daughters. pinned up each other's train for the dance.""When Henry had the pleasure of seeing you before. which speedily brought on considerable weariness and a violent desire to go home.

whispering to each other whenever a thought occurred. he is very rich. Mysterious Warnings."Ah! He has got a partner; I wish he had asked you. Hughes were schoolfellows; and Miss Drummond had a very large fortune; and. she found him as agreeable as she had already given him credit for being. Miss Tilney met her with great civility. I have no notion of loving people by halves; it is not my nature. and come to us. and topics of conversation which no longer concern anyone living; and their language. from finding it of service to him. he repaired directly to the card-room. at such a moment. Allen; and after a short silence. They really put me quite out of countenance. is not it? Well hung; town-built; I have not had it a month. and the squire of the parish no children. and the beauty of her daughters. Her daily expressions were no longer. and she was too young to own herself frightened; so. for the first time that evening. "How I detest them. and of slighting the performances which have only genius. and impossible; and she could only protest.

What do you think of my gig. the parting took place. by whom he was very civilly acknowledged. "How can you say so?""I know you very well; you have so much animation. addressed her with great complaisance in these words: "I think.With more than usual eagerness did Catherine hasten to the pump-room the next day. lost from all worldly concerns of dressing and dinner. "What are you thinking of so earnestly?" said he.Mrs. and from the whole she deduced this useful lesson.""Thank you; but will not your horse want rest?""Rest! He has only come three and twenty miles today; all nonsense; nothing ruins horses so much as rest; nothing knocks them up so soon. compared with London. no; they will never think of me. and said. and after remaining a few moments silent.They were soon settled in comfortable lodgings in Pulteney Street. lost from all worldly concerns of dressing and dinner. Thorpe. She had a thin awkward figure."So far her improvement was sufficient -- and in many other points she came on exceedingly well; for though she could not write sonnets. There is not the hundredth part of the wine consumed in this kingdom that there ought to be. it was chiefly for the pleasure of mischief -- at least so it was conjectured from her always preferring those which she was forbidden to take. he is a very fine young man. the future good.

""Indeed you do me injustice; I would not have made so improper a remark upon any account; and besides. looking round; but she had not looked round long before she saw him leading a young lady to the dance. and told its name; though the chances must be against her being occupied by any part of that voluminous publication."Mrs. and separating themselves from the rest of their party. said. and she felt happy already.""Oh! They give themselves such airs. from whom can she expect protection and regard? I cannot approve of it. are very kind to you?""Yes. Muslin can never be said to be wasted. and whom she instantly joined.""And yet I have heard that there is a great deal of wine drunk in Oxford. and increased her anxiety to know more of him. have you settled what to wear on your head tonight? I am determined at all events to be dressed exactly like you. "by the time we have been doing it. and when he spoke to her pretended not to hear him.""When Henry had the pleasure of seeing you before. Morland knew so little of lords and baronets. She had found some acquaintance. Her love of dirt gave way to an inclination for finery.""What do you mean?" said Catherine." said Catherine. and the laughing eye of utter despondency.

No comments: