Monday, May 16, 2011

from the natural surface of the earth?Again.

In another moment we were standing face to face
In another moment we were standing face to face. I knew that such assurance was folly. There were evidently several of the Morlocks. but not too strongly for even a moderate swimmer. were broken in many places. but here again I was disappointed. could they not restore the machine to me? And why were they so terribly afraid of the dark? I proceeded.only the more dreadful and disgusting for our common likeness a foul creature to be incontinently slain. The two species that had resulted from the evolution of man were sliding down towards. and sat down beside her to wait for the moonrise. which displayed only a geometrical pattern. and fell down.and the Time Traveller stood before us. And besides. from behind me.can a cube have a real existence. In the end.but I was already going too fast to be conscious of any moving things.

I had in mind a battering ram.and this other reverses the motion. while they stayed peering and blinking up at me: all but one little wretch who followed me for some way. If each generation die and leave ghosts." Then suddenly the humour of the situation came into my mind: the thought of the years I had spent in study and toil to get into the future age.)It seemed to me that I had happened upon humanity upon the wane. I had exhausted my emotion.For some way I heard nothing but the crackling twigs under my feet. Their voices seemed to rise to a higher pitch of excitement.In a circular opening. Apparently it was considered bad form to remark these apertures; for when I pointed to this one.And so my mind came round to the business of stopping.and standing up in my place. looking for some trace of Weena. and all of a sudden I let him go. there are subways. I felt the box of matches in my hand being gently disengaged. I remember a long gallery of rusting stands of arms.

For that.and a fourth. "Patience. a slender loophole in the wall. however perfect. that still pulsated internally with fire.and looked only at the Time Travellers face. after all. and from that I could get my bearings for the White Sphinx.nor hear the intonation of his voice. and had three fruit- trees. I thought.when we had all imitated the action of the Medical Man." Nevertheless.Tell you presently. So suddenly that she startled me. Yet all the same.I dont think any one else had noticed his lameness.

this insecurity. I was surprised to find it had been carefully oiled and cleaned. The sky kept very clear. the floor of it running downward at a slight angle from the end at which I entered. "Patience. no rain had fallen. At once a quaintly pretty little figure in chequered purple and white followed my gesture. and they reflected the light in the same way. As I went with them the memory of my confident anticipations of a profoundly grave and intellectual posterity came.is only a model. and I did not feel safe from their insidious approach.For the most part of that night I was persuaded it was a nightmare. And during these few revolutions all the activity. and had been too intent upon them to notice the gradual diminution of the light. I laughed at that. which at the first glance reminded me of a military chapel hung with tattered flags. I have a memory of horrible fatigue. I felt very weary after my exertion.

it spreads its operations very steadily and persistently. If only I had had a companion it would have been different. For a little way the glare of my fire lit the path. I suppose.and that line. Why? For the life of me I could not imagine. excitements. I associated them in some indefinite way with the white animal I had startled in my first passionate search for the Time Machine. and incapable of stinging. They came. remote. I remember creeping noiselessly into the great hall where the little people were sleeping in the moonlight--that night Weena was among them--and feeling reassured by their presence.only the more dreadful and disgusting for our common likeness a foul creature to be incontinently slain. but here again I was disappointed. Some day all this will be better organized.I stood looking at it for a little space half a minute. said I to myself. My explanation may be absolutely wrong.

said the Editor hilariously. Catching myself at that. and ran along by the side of me. whose enemy would come upon him soon. the general effect was extremely rich and picturesque. And amid all these scintillating points of light one bright planet shone kindly and steadily like the face of an old friend. and if they dont. was full of a slumbrous murmur that I did not understand. For the first time I began to realize an odd consequence of the social effort in which we are at present engaged.that is. in ten minutes. that my voice was too harsh and deep for them. I tried a sweet-looking little chap in white next. Then I had simply to fight against their persistent fingers for my levers. of all that I beheld in that future age. I have no doubt they could see me in that rayless obscurity. I said to myself. to sing in the sunlight: so much was left of the artistic spirit.

Three-Dimensional representations of his Four-Dimensioned being.In a circular opening. and my bar of iron promised best against the bronze gates. in what appeared to me impenetrable darkness. and see the sunrise. had taken it into the hollow pedestal of the White Sphinx. Only ragged vestiges of glass remained in its windows. Why? For the life of me I could not imagine. selecting a little side gallery.Is that plain I was never more serious in my life.puzzled but incredulous. as I supposed. And close behind. Very possibly I had been feeling desolate. abstract terms.and why has it always been.The German scholars have improved Greek so much. about the Time Machine: something.

her face white and starlike under the stars. The male pursued the female.retorted the Time Traveller. and fell..I feel assured its this business of the Time Machine. I remember a long gallery of rusting stands of arms. She shivered as though the topic was unendurable. Learn its ways.The thing was generally complete.Parts were of nickel. I reached a strong suggestion of an extensive system of subterranean ventilation. and heard their moans. I could look my circumstances fairly in the face.You must follow me carefully.Then he came into the room.The strange exultation that so often seems to accompany hard fighting came upon me.who saw him next.

and along the face of it I saw an inscription in some unknown character. and co-operating; things will move faster and faster towards the subjugation of Nature.Presently.In another moment we were standing face to face.arriving late. their eyes were abnormally large and sensitive.Under the new conditions of perfect comfort and security.if you like.I felt naked in a strange world. With the last twenty or thirty feet of it a deadly nausea came upon me. then something at my arm. for nothing. The sun had already gone below the horizon and the west was flaming gold. I had now a clue to the import of these wells. does not an East-end worker live in such artificial conditions as practically to be cut off from the natural surface of the earth?Again. I hesitated at this. After an instants pause I followed it into the second heap of ruins. Mother Necessity.

save now and then a brighter circle flickering in the blue. I was at first inclined to associate it with the sanitary apparatus of these people. His prejudice against human flesh is no deep seated instinct.But a civilized man is better off than the savage in this respect.In the matter of sepulchre.We stared at each other. the sanitation and the agriculture of to-day are still in the rudimentary stage. towards a vast grey edifice of fretted stone. and smiled to reassure her.we can represent a figure of a three-dimensional solid. with a sudden shiver. in an air-tight case.in his old way.far easier down than up. In the afternoon I met my little woman. in the space of Time across which my machine had leaped. about midway between the pedestal of the sphinx and the marks of my feet where. An animal perfectly in harmony with its environment is a perfect mechanism.

however: that slow movement which is imperceptible in a hundred human lifetimes.I was on what seemed to be a little lawn in a garden. Yet her distress when I left her was very great. the exclusive tendency of richer people--due. The freshness of the morning made me desire an equal freshness. Nevertheless I left that gallery greatly elated.but the twisted crystalline bars lay unfinished upon the bench beside some sheets of drawings. Yet.)It seemed to me that I had happened upon humanity upon the wane. and with the big open portals that yawned before me shadowy and mysterious. without medicine. it seemed clear as daylight to me that the gradual widening of the present merely temporary and social difference between the Capitalist and the Labourer.I may have been stunned for a moment.the dance of the shadows. thin and peaked and white. Then. And yet. but I felt restless and uncomfortable.

The peculiar risk lay in the possibility of my finding some substance in the space which I. Towards that. futile way that she cared for me. perhaps through the survival of an old habit of service. Strength is the outcome of need; security sets a premium on feebleness. dreaming most disagreeably that I was drowned.and Filbys anecdote collapsed.This adjustment. are a constant source of failure.This possibility had occurred to me again and again while I was making the machine; but then I had cheerfully accepted it as an unavoidable risk one of the risks a man has got to take! Now the risk was inevitable. I saw that the dust was less abundant and its surface less even.At that I stopped short before them. my interest waned.After a time we ceased to do that.Yes. Sitting by the side of these wells. Some day all this will be better organized. and most of them.

She always seemed to me. It was not too soon.And here I must admit that I learned very little of drains and bells and modes of conveyance. and I was inclined to linger among these; the more so as for the most part they had the interest of puzzles. towards a vast grey edifice of fretted stone. And then I thought once more of the meat that I had seen.another at seventeen. and I hoped to find my bar of iron not altogether inadequate for the work. My pockets had always puzzled Weena. I really believe that had they not been so.I want something to eat. I saw the fact plainly enough. I was continually meeting more of these men of the future.set my teeth. partially glazed with coloured glass and partially unglazed. I came to connect these wells with tall towers standing here and there upon the slopes; for above them there was often just such a flicker in the air as one sees on a hot day above a sun-scorched beach. the little doll of a creature presently gave my return to the neighbourhood of the White Sphinx almost the feeling of coming home; and I would watch for her tiny figure of white and gold so soon as I came over the hill.Still they could move a little up and down.

I saw that the dust was less abundant and its surface less even.I gave it a last tap. The wood behind seemed full of the stir and murmur of a great company!She seemed to have fainted. in fact. Then I tried talk. It had moved. pinkish-grey eyes!--as they stared in their blindness and bewilderment.the bright light of which fell upon the model. A peculiar feature. I dont know if you will understand my feeling.and read my own interpretation in his face. I took her in my arms and talked to her and caressed her. The sky was clear. She wanted to be with me always.nor hear the intonation of his voice.Coming through the bushes by the White Sphinx were the heads and shoulders of men running. and so forth.and Dash.

till I remembered how he detested any fuss about himself.and that line. I felt assured now of what it was.said the Time Traveller. And why had they taken my Time Machine?So we went on in the quiet. and Weena clung to me convulsively. The ground grew dim and the trees black. among other things. but that the museum was built into the side of a hill. I had exhausted my emotion. in ten minutes. In the first place. and there was the little lawn. and with the big open portals that yawned before me shadowy and mysterious.and there was that luxurious after-dinner atmosphere when thought roams gracefully free of the trammels of precision. nor any means of breaking down the bronze doors.Still.Presently I noted that the sun belt swayed up and down.

the red glow. The descent was effected by means of metallic bars projecting from the sides of the well.Suddenly Weena came very close to my side." Nevertheless.Then came troublesome doubts. and by the strange flowers I saw. I went out of that gallery and into another and still larger one. I began to feel over the parapet for the climbing hooks.any real body must have extension in FOUR directions: it must have Length. Then I looked at Weena. They grew scattered. With a strange sense of freedom and adventure I pushed on up to the crest.I said. had followed the Ichthyosaurus into extinction. when Fear does not paralyse and mystery has lost its terrors. I thought. And here.man said the Doctor.

Dont let me disturb you.into whatever lay in my way; meant bringing my atoms into such intimate contact with those of the obstacle that a profound chemical reaction possibly a far reaching explosion would result. until my growing knowledge would lead me back to them in a natural way. largely because of the mystery on the other side.The strange exultation that so often seems to accompany hard fighting came upon me. somehow seemed appropriate enough. and running to me. For that.The twinkling succession of darkness and light was excessively painful to the eye.) What is more. At the first glance I was reminded of a museum. that should indeed have served me as a warning. and presently she refused to answer them. Let me put my difficulties. I beat the ground with my hands. finding a pleasure in the mere touch of the contrivance. and a couple of sparrows were hopping round me on the turf within reach of my arm. Not a creature seemed to be stirring in that moonlit world.

above ground you must have the Haves. I fancied at first that it was paraffin wax. I began collecting sticks and leaves. The clear blue of the distance faded. I saw dimly coming up.There I found a seat of some yellow metal that I did not recognize. or had already arrived at.But all else of the world was invisible. As I thought of that. hastily retreating before the light. and I could make only the vaguest guesses at what they were for. and a remarkable array of miscellaneous objects was shrouded in the same grey covering. The hissing and crackling behind me.regarded as something different And why cannot we move in Time as we move about in the other dimensions of SpaceThe Time Traveller smiled. At one time the flames died down somewhat.said the Psychologist.Between the tables was scattered a great number of cushions. does not an East-end worker live in such artificial conditions as practically to be cut off from the natural surface of the earth?Again.

No comments: