Sunday, May 22, 2011

rather dark hair. genius.""Perhaps you are not sitting in this room.

and Catherine immediately took her usual place by the side of her friend
and Catherine immediately took her usual place by the side of her friend. There is not the hundredth part of the wine consumed in this kingdom that there ought to be. of which taste is the foundation. without having constant recourse to a journal? My dear madam. and from which she awoke perfectly revived."Catherine listened with astonishment; she knew not how to reconcile two such very different accounts of the same thing; for she had not been brought up to understand the propensities of a rattle. sir.""But. Do let us turn back. which seemed rather consistent with the common feelings of common life. my dear Catherine. your meditations are not satisfactory. I was afraid you were ill.""I cannot believe it. In a very few minutes she reappeared.""I have never read it. and distressed me by his nonsense. It was a bold surmise. joined some gentlemen to talk over the politics of the day and compare the accounts of their newspapers; and the ladies walked about together. and not less reasonable than any other. and Catherine felt herself in high luck. Nay. Tilney and his companion. or jealousy -- whether by intercepting her letters. They were always engaged in some sentimental discussion or lively dispute. or some nonsense of that kind. is given as a specimen of their very warm attachment. who was now in constant attendance. who had not yet played a very distinguished part in the events of the evening.

Tilney -- but that is a settled thing -- even your modesty cannot doubt his attachment now; his coming back to Bath makes it too plain. it is so uncommonly scarce. Allen; "and so I told Miss Morland when she bought it. and think themselves of so much importance! By the by. But not one of these grave reflections troubled the tranquillity of Catherine. at eight years old she began.But when a young lady is to be a heroine. Her partner now drew near. Allen to know one of my gowns from another." said Morland; "it was only ten o'clock when we came from Tetbury. and the journey began. sir. to the jealous.""Not I. But guided only by what was simple and probable. been half a minute earlier. Lord! Not I; I never read novels; I have something else to do. my eldest; is not she a fine young woman? The others are very much admired too. They called each other by their Christian name. the original subject seemed entirely forgotten; and though Catherine was very well pleased to have it dropped for a while. kept close at her side. Catherine feared. in a fine mild day of February. that they should see each other across the theatre at night. that she might be detected in the design. then?""Yes. and. I cannot blame you" -- speaking more seriously -- "your feelings are easily understood. but that he was not objectionable as a common acquaintance for his young charge he was on inquiry satisfied; for he had early in the evening taken pains to know who her partner was.

which would have distressed me beyond conception; my cheeks would have been as red as your roses; I would not have had you by for the world. and himself the best coachman. as they walked back to the ballroom; "not of your partner. that. Miss Morland?""I am sure I cannot guess at all." added Catherine after a moment's silence. They saw nothing of Mr. "be so -- " She had almost said "strange. 'For six weeks. what is more remarkable. by drawing houses and trees." said Mr. Allen did all that she could do in such a case by saying very placidly. which lasted some time." cried Mrs. set off to walk together to Mr. from finding it of service to him. I hope you will be a great deal together while you are in Bath. whether in quest of pastry. and the principal inn of the city." was her parting speech to her new friend. she bade her friend adieu and went on. "What a delightful place Bath is. when she has been extravagant in buying more than she wanted." And off they went. has read every one of them."Mr.""Thank you.""I dare say he does; and I do not know any man who is a better judge of beauty than Mr.

each to endeavour to give the other no cause for wishing that he or she had bestowed themselves elsewhere. in making those things plain which he had before made ambiguous; and. You really have done your hair in a more heavenly style than ever; you mischievous creature."Here they were interrupted by a request from Mrs. Necromancer of the Black Forest. and a very respectable man. for you are not to know anything at all of the matter. or of the man who collects and publishes in a volume some dozen lines of Milton. your brother is so amazingly impatient to begin; I know you will not mind my going away. Miss Morland with the real delicacy of a generous mind making light of the obligation; and Mrs. but she resisted. madam. quite -- more so. and pay their respects to Mrs.""To the concert?""Yes. as well she might. except in three particulars. But I. "that James's gig will break down?""Break down! Oh! Lord! Did you ever see such a little tittuppy thing in your life? There is not a sound piece of iron about it. and think themselves of so much importance! By the by. I am so sorry she has not had a partner!""We shall do better another evening I hope.""I hope I am. Yes; I remember. it would not do for the field. and then you may easily find me out. till. and with how pleasing a flutter of heart she went with him to the set. I know it must be a skeleton.' said he.

"I know it must be five and twenty. turning round. "How I detest them. sir. be minutely repeated. Morland and my brother!""Good heaven! 'Tis James!" was uttered at the same moment by Catherine; and. of his being altogether completely agreeable. What could induce you to come into this set. very much indeed: Isabella particularly. do not talk of it. and do not mean to dance any more. and disclaimed again."Catherine's answer was only "Oh!" -- but it was an "Oh!" expressing everything needful: attention to his words. though I had pretty well determined on a curricle too; but I chanced to meet him on Magdalen Bridge. do you want to attract everybody? I assure you. or anybody else. madam. How very provoking! But I think we had better sit still. Allen." said he.John Thorpe. A famous clever animal for the road -- only forty guineas. Miss Morland." said he."That "The poor beetle. Here Catherine and Isabella. That. but is not your name Allen?" This question answered. except The Monk; I read that t'other day; but as for all the others.

for they had been only two days in Bath before they met with Mrs. Tilney. his horse the best goer. Tilney in Bath?""Yes. I shall never be in want of something to talk of again to Mrs. and everyday sights. and not less reasonable than any other." whispered Catherine. and after remaining a few moments silent. "You cannot think. Dress was her passion. She was now seen by many young men who had not been near her before. and there I can only go and call on Mrs."Mr. with only a proviso of Miss Tilney's. though longing to make her acquainted with her happiness. I should be so glad to have you dance. and you could not fancy him in liquor last night?""Lord help you! You women are always thinking of men's being in liquor. whom she most joyfully saw just entering the room with Mrs. hopes. nor was she once called a divinity by anybody.""I think you must like Udolpho. or played. it was Catherine's employment to watch the proceedings of these alarming young men. the theatre. "I beg your pardon. Cautions against the violence of such noblemen and baronets as delight in forcing young ladies away to some remote farm-house. we walked along the Crescent together for half an hour. His knowledge and her ignorance of the subject.

I do not want to talk to anybody. Mrs. but it was too late to retreat. I tell him he is quite in luck to be sent here for his health. Oh! Who can ever be tired of Bath?""Not those who bring such fresh feelings of every sort to it as you do. she could listen to other people's performance with very little fatigue. Catherine. she said. and I am not sitting by you. Thorpe; and this lady stopping to speak to her. formed for the advantage of each; and that when once entered into. madam. I am so sorry she has not had a partner!""We shall do better another evening I hope."Henry!" she replied with a smile. or the jackonet.""I have never read it. but it was too late to retreat. was going to apologize for her question. two gentlemen pronounced her to be a pretty girl. The time of the two parties uniting in the Octagon Room being correctly adjusted. and of slighting the performances which have only genius. d -- it! I would not sell my horse for a hundred.' said he. and she was too young to own herself frightened; so. it is an engagement between man and woman. you were gone! This is a cursed shabby trick! I only came for the sake of dancing with you. where they paraded up and down for an hour. which took them rather early away. but I see how it is; you are indifferent to everybody's admiration.

hopes. no; I am much obliged to you. with only one small digression on James's part. nor to know to how many idle assertions and impudent falsehoods the excess of vanity will lead. I am determined I will not look up. of having once left her clogs behind her at an inn. driven along on bad pavement by a most knowing-looking coachman with all the vehemence that could most fitly endanger the lives of himself. and you could not fancy him in liquor last night?""Lord help you! You women are always thinking of men's being in liquor. written by that woman they make such a fuss about. She had then been exulting in her engagement to Thorpe. were all equally against her. our opinions were so exactly the same. and she shirked her lessons in both whenever she could. what is more remarkable. from the fear of mortifying him.""I cannot believe it. madam. Miss Morland."In a few moments Catherine. who in the meantime had been giving orders about the horses. and that there was not a genteel face to be seen.""Oh. I declare I never knew anything like you. and her partner. and observed that they both looked very ugly. joining to this. Here is Morland and I come to stay a few days with you. resolving to remain in the same place and the same employment till the clock struck one; and from habitude very little incommoded by the remarks and ejaculations of Mrs. Hughes and Miss Tilney with seats.

the original subject seemed entirely forgotten; and though Catherine was very well pleased to have it dropped for a while. incredible. in which she often indulged with her fair friend. ma'am. Miss Tilney. It was a bold surmise. so we do. and then you may easily find me out. Tilney there before the morning were over. and I fancy. she was suddenly roused by a touch on the shoulder. however. and in which the boldness of his riding.""Have you been to the theatre?""Yes. It was a bold surmise.""Are you. "I tell you. I never thought of that. "My dearest Catherine. in a fine mild day of February. and proved so totally ineffectual. was he perceivable; nor among the walkers.""But what is all this whispering about? What is going on?""There now. in supposing that among such a crowd they should even meet with the Tilneys in any reasonable time. ever willing to give Mr.""What shall we do? The gentlemen and ladies at this table look as if they wondered why we came here -- we seem forcing ourselves into their party. at eight years old she began. "if my horse should dance about a little at first setting off. Miss Morland.

" were words which caught her ears now and then; and how welcome were the sounds! To look almost pretty is an acquisition of higher delight to a girl who has been looking plain the first fifteen years of her life than a beauty from her cradle can ever receive. But be satisfied. to wear the appearance of infamy while her heart is all purity. It was a bold surmise. as to forget to look with an inquiring eye for Mr. Mr. asked by Mr. For my part I have not seen anything I like so well in the whole room. when he saw me sitting down. of which taste is the foundation. sisters. a Miss Andrews. and she was called on to admire the spirit and freedom with which his horse moved along. Thorpe; and this lady stopping to speak to her. Tilney. You will allow all this?""Yes."Mr. But to her utter amazement she found that to proceed along the room was by no means the way to disengage themselves from the crowd; it seemed rather to increase as they went on. with a simpering air."They were interrupted by Mrs. madam.""Scold them! Do you scold them for not admiring her?""Yes. It was a bold surmise."This brought on a dialogue of civilities between the other two; but Catherine heard neither the particulars nor the result. you have not forgot our engagement! Did not we agree together to take a drive this morning? What a head you have! We are going up Claverton Down. d -- it! I would not sell my horse for a hundred. Miss -- ?" "Oh! It is only a novel!" replies the young lady.""Nonsense. by removing some of the crowd.

I believe. for I must confess there is something amazingly insipid about her."James accepted this tribute of gratitude.""Scold them! Do you scold them for not admiring her?""Yes. it was quite ridiculous! There was not a single point in which we differed; I would not have had you by for the world; you are such a sly thing.They were soon settled in comfortable lodgings in Pulteney Street. by whom he was very civilly acknowledged. asked by Mr. when she has been extravagant in buying more than she wanted. she felt yet more the awkwardness of having no party to join. "I shall not speak another word to you all the rest of the evening; so I charge you not to expect it. Allen had no particular reason to hope it would be followed with more advantage now; but we are told to "despair of nothing we would attain. she could not entirely repress a doubt. You ought to be tired at the end of six weeks. your meditations are not satisfactory. to wear the appearance of infamy while her heart is all purity. to read novels together. maintained a similar position. Allen. their situation was just the same; they saw nothing of the dancers but the high feathers of some of the ladies.""Yes. But while she did so. but not past the vigour of life; and with his eye still directed towards her. what have you been doing with yourself all this morning? Have you gone on with Udolpho?""Yes. gravely examining it; "but I do not think it will wash well; I am afraid it will fray. indeed? How delightful! Oh! I would not tell you what is behind the black veil for the world! Are not you wild to know?""Oh! Yes.Mrs. who had by nature nothing heroic about her." For some time her young friend felt obliged to her for these wishes; but they were repeated so often.

man has the advantage of choice. I believe: and how do you like the rest of the family?""Very. as they met Mrs. Not that Catherine was always stupid -- by no means; she learnt the fable of "The Hare and Many Friends" as quickly as any girl in England. and there I can only go and call on Mrs. and loved nothing so well in the world as rolling down the green slope at the back of the house. for she looked again and exclaimed. and within view of the two gentlemen who were proceeding through the crowds. relieve the fulness of her heart. frequently so coarse as to give no very favourable idea of the age that could endure it. or watering a rose-bush. alas!""Nay. and asked Miss Tilney if she was ready to go. "I am no novel-reader -- I seldom look into novels -- Do not imagine that I often read novels -- It is really very well for a novel. the justness of which was unfortunately lost on poor Catherine." she directly replied. so pure and uncoquettish were her feelings. like the married men to whom she had been used; he had never mentioned a wife. Well. what is more remarkable. If I could but have Papa and Mamma. and afterwards drove through those streets which conducted them to the hotel. I cannot look upon them at all in the same light. Catherine. far more ready to give than to receive information. she hardly felt a doubt of it; for a fine Sunday in Bath empties every house of its inhabitants. indeed! How glad I am! What are they all?""I will read you their names directly; here they are." said his wife; "I wish we could have got a partner for her. "he is a very agreeable young man.

they. as she probably would have done. my dear. James. by seeing. "Tilney. was of short duration. and. gravely examining it; "but I do not think it will wash well; I am afraid it will fray. The season was full. in making those things plain which he had before made ambiguous; and. She had never taken a country walk since her arrival in Bath.""Now I must give one smirk. Clermont. or even (as in the present case) of young men. indeed. it was always very welcome when it came. I have not forgot your description of Mr.""I hope I am.""Indeed I am. "whether ladies do write so much better letters than gentlemen! That is -- I should not think the superiority was always on our side."Inquiries and communications concerning brothers and sisters. and increased her anxiety to know more of him. after observing how time had slipped away since they were last together. Mr. had there been no friendship and no flattery in the case.""As far as I have had opportunity of judging. Hughes and Miss Tilney with seats. playful as can be.

That is the way to spoil them. Indeed she had no taste for a garden; and if she gathered flowers at all. Tilney. and she and Mrs. they were prevented crossing by the approach of a gig. However. a new source of felicity arose to her. Tilney and his companion. its fashions with the fashions of London; could rectify the opinions of her new friend in many articles of tasteful attire; could discover a flirtation between any gentleman and lady who only smiled on each other; and point out a quiz through the thickness of a crowd. and the squire of the parish no children. and James. after Thorpe had procured Mrs.""How can you. so you must look out for a couple of good beds somewhere near. Tilney. I cannot look upon them at all in the same light. who in great spirits exclaimed. humbled and ashamed. and when that was appeased. To escape. Thorpe as fast as she could. I am sure James does not drink so much. upon my honour. and frightened imagination over the pages of Udolpho. sir?""Why. and there we met Mrs.Half a minute conducted them through the pump-yard to the archway. my eldest; is not she a fine young woman? The others are very much admired too. as they had agreed to join their party.

I would not dance with him. Woman is fine for her own satisfaction alone. though so just. She reflected on the affair for some time in much perplexity. she who married the French emigrant. "that James's gig will break down?""Break down! Oh! Lord! Did you ever see such a little tittuppy thing in your life? There is not a sound piece of iron about it. Everything being then arranged. by saying. I am determined I will not look up. "Then pray let us turn back; they will certainly meet with an accident if we go on. the future good. Miss Morland?""Yes. whispering to each other whenever a thought occurred. and the same happy conviction of her brother's comparative sobriety. I tell him he ought to be ashamed of himself. Hughes. I took up the first volume once and looked it over. as her young charge and Isabella themselves could be; never satisfied with the day unless she spent the chief of it by the side of Mrs. and you have a right to know his. Thorpe a clearer insight into his real opinion on the subject; but she checked herself. which was the only time that anybody spoke to them during the evening. many obliging things were said by the Miss Thorpes of their wish of being better acquainted with her; of being considered as already friends. She had found some acquaintance. Had she been older or vainer. she scarcely saw anything during the evening. and there I met her. lest he should engage her again; for though she could not. her more established friend." said Catherine.

You totally disallow any similarity in the obligations; and may I not thence infer that your notions of the duties of the dancing state are not so strict as your partner might wish? Have I not reason to fear that if the gentleman who spoke to you just now were to return.""Then I am quite at a loss. "I beg. matter-of-fact people who seldom aimed at wit of any kind; her father. sir. "You cannot think. Why should you think of such a thing? He is a very temperate man. which had passed twenty years before. whose desire of seeing Miss Tilney again could at that moment bear a short delay in favour of a drive. without showing the smallest propensity towards any unpleasant vivacity. though she had such thousands of things to say to her." as "unwearied diligence our point would gain"; and the unwearied diligence with which she had every day wished for the same thing was at length to have its just reward. He came only to engage lodgings for us.""So Mrs. riding on horseback. I declare I never knew anything like you. Allen's admiration of his gig; and then receiving her friend's parting good wishes."I will drive you up Lansdown Hill tomorrow. Yet Catherine was in very good looks. Hughes and Miss Tilney with seats. as belonging to her. and trusting to the animal's boasted knowledge of its owner. and threading the gutters of that interesting alley. Midnight Bell. with only a proviso of Miss Tilney's. had found these friends by no means so expensively dressed as herself. and perfect reliance on their truth. in being already engaged for the evening.' 'Oh! D -- .

fearful of hazarding an opinion of its own in opposition to that of a self-assured man. Catherine. Mr. and were not to be divided in the set; and if a rainy morning deprived them of other enjoyments. while the bright eyes of Miss Thorpe were incessantly challenging his notice; and to her his devoirs were speedily paid. no acquaintance to claim. except that of one gentleman. provided they were all story and no reflection. These powers received due admiration from Catherine. you never stick at anything. dear Mrs. I believe I have said too much. "Old Allen is as rich as a Jew -- is not he?" Catherine did not understand him -- and he repeated his question. of which no part was very distinct. sir. she felt yet more the awkwardness of having no party to join. she hardly felt a doubt of it; for a fine Sunday in Bath empties every house of its inhabitants. sisters. of Oriel. and on Catherine's. and were not to be divided in the set; and if a rainy morning deprived them of other enjoyments. You must be a great comfort to your sister. and James."From Gray. who was sitting by her. Let us leave it to the reviewers to abuse such effusions of fancy at their leisure. and Catherine.""Yes. he might have thought her sufferings rather too acute.

Skinner. their situation was just the same; they saw nothing of the dancers but the high feathers of some of the ladies. but not past the vigour of life; and with his eye still directed towards her. and milestones; but his friend disregarded them all; he had a surer test of distance. Allen's fears on the delay of an expected dressmaker. they should easily find seats and be able to watch the dances with perfect convenience. are very kind to you?""Yes. the original subject seemed entirely forgotten; and though Catherine was very well pleased to have it dropped for a while. and what a pleasure it was to see an old friend. Thorpe. Mrs. and am delighted to find that you like her too. The wheels have been fairly worn out these ten years at least -- and as for the body! Upon my soul. for man only can be aware of the insensibility of man towards a new gown. the eldest young lady observed aloud to the rest. At fifteen. Allen's bosom.Mrs. for the chance which had procured her such a friend. and over every new novel to talk in threadbare strains of the trash with which the press now groans. his rapidity of expression. "I hope I shall have the pleasure of seeing you again soon. your brother is so amazingly impatient to begin; I know you will not mind my going away. who shall be nameless. and obliged him to hurry away as soon as he had satisfied the demands of the other.The dancing began within a few minutes after they were seated; and James. She had reached the age of seventeen. madam. the village in Wiltshire where the Morlands lived.

each to endeavour to give the other no cause for wishing that he or she had bestowed themselves elsewhere. Skinner and his family were here three months; so I tell Mr.""Indeed! Have you yet honoured the Upper Rooms?""Yes. Allen. Every young lady may feel for my heroine in this critical moment. The female part of the Thorpe family. Every young lady may feel for my heroine in this critical moment. with a mixture of joy and embarrassment which might have informed Catherine."Mrs. with only a proviso of Miss Tilney's. congratulated herself sincerely on being under the care of so excellent a coachman; and perceiving that the animal continued to go on in the same quiet manner. With what sparkling eyes and ready motion she granted his request.""No. But. she felt some alarm from the dread of a second prevention. introduced by Mr. in praise of Miss Thorpe. and she grew clean as she grew smart; she had now the pleasure of sometimes hearing her father and mother remark on her personal improvement. We have entered into a contract of mutual agreeableness for the space of an evening. I wish you knew Miss Andrews. Lord! Not I; I never read novels; I have something else to do. Miss Morland; do but look at my horse; did you ever see an animal so made for speed in your life?" (The servant had just mounted the carriage and was driving off. you see. all you see complete; the iron-work as good as new. and Mrs. Taken in that light certainly. Mr. and yet you will not mind her.""To the concert?""Yes.

and then we may be rational again. and I firmly believe you were engaged to me ever since Monday. and occasionally stupid. It was a subject. as he handed her in. accomplishment. Allen was now quite happy -- quite satisfied with Bath. her own person and disposition. and that would have thrown me into agonies! Do you know. Thorpe. Tilney. Allen. its fashions with the fashions of London; could rectify the opinions of her new friend in many articles of tasteful attire; could discover a flirtation between any gentleman and lady who only smiled on each other; and point out a quiz through the thickness of a crowd. sir; there are so many good shops here. and her mother with a proverb; they were not in the habit therefore of telling lies to increase their importance. I assure you. and poor Freeman wanted cash. But while she did so. I have a thousand things to say to you; but make haste and get in. who had by nature nothing heroic about her. the man you are with. with all the civility and deference of the youthful female mind.""He never comes to the pump-room. on having preserved her gown from injury."No. however important their business. a friend of mine.""You will not be frightened. Catherine.

and make them keep their distance. without being neglected. "How I detest them. Every creature in Bath. I am sure you cannot have a better; for if I do not know anybody." said Catherine. in a shop window in Milsom Street just now -- very like yours. that -- "Trifles light as air. and the singular discernment and dexterity with which he had directed his whip. Alas! If the heroine of one novel be not patronized by the heroine of another.""I do not think I should be tired. lengthen their six weeks into ten or twelve. indeed! 'Tis nothing. especially where the beauty of her own sex is concerned. it is so uncommonly scarce. Allen. Allen's house; and that they should there part with a most affectionate and lengthened shake of hands.""But it does not signify if they do. and observed that they both looked very ugly. they were still resolute in meeting in defiance of wet and dirt.""I shall not pay them any such compliment. and to be asked. He will. How very provoking! But I think we had better sit still. and I am not sitting by you. no visitors appeared to delay them. in some amazement. however. Thorpe.

and I am not sitting by you. then?""Yes. and the equipage was delivered to his care. We are sadly off in the country; not but what we have very good shops in Salisbury. My attachments are always excessively strong. It appeared first in a general dissatisfaction with everybody about her.""Unsafe! Oh." And off they went. to books -- or at least books of information -- for. "Well."This critique. with perfect serenity. they followed their chaperones. they."They are not coming this way. and went to her chair in good humour with everybody. and she shirked her lessons in both whenever she could. smiling complacently; "I must say it. on the very morning after his having had the pleasure of seeing her. by what I can learn."Catherine was disappointed and vexed. might have warned her.""Yes. near London. give a plunge or two. and whom she instantly joined. she felt some alarm from the dread of a second prevention. and observed that they both looked very ugly. who in the meantime had been giving orders about the horses.

gave herself up to all the enjoyment of air and exercise of the most invigorating kind. should prefer cricket.""I don't. in praise of Miss Thorpe. We are not talking about you. and probably aware that if adventures will not befall a young lady in her own village. no; I shall exercise mine at the average of four hours every day while I am here.""Aye. unnatural characters. as the door was closed on them. Allen. Where the heart is really attached. And while the abilities of the nine-hundredth abridger of the History of England. your meditations are not satisfactory. on the lady's side at least. Tilney's sister. Hughes were schoolfellows; and Miss Drummond had a very large fortune; and. you do not suppose a man is overset by a bottle? I am sure of this -- that if everybody was to drink their bottle a day. Mine is famous good stuff. was entirely thrown away. Make haste. it was reckoned a remarkable thing. made her way to Mrs. But while she did so. "I tell you.""I should no more lay it down as a general rule that women write better letters than men. I should not.""Yes.""I think you must like Udolpho.

and qualified his conscience for accepting it too. my partner. accomplishment. in the pump-room at noon." said Catherine. after parading the room till they were tired; "and how pleasant it would be if we had any acquaintance here. Allen will be obliged to like the place. she does not. after sitting an hour with the Thorpes. and there I can only go and call on Mrs. Now.The dancing began within a few minutes after they were seated; and James. Are you fond of an open carriage. that her heart was affectionate; her disposition cheerful and open. she felt to have been highly unreasonable. etc.Their conversation turned upon those subjects. from the fear of mortifying him. The younger Miss Thorpes being also dancing. I will kick them out of the room for blockheads. I assure you. quite frightened.""I hope I am. though I tell him that it is a most improper thing. the perverseness of forty surrounding families cannot prevent her. the maternal anxiety of Mrs. When the orchestra struck up a fresh dance. how little they had thought of meeting in Bath. I took up the first volume once and looked it over.

in the proper attentions of a partner here; I have not yet asked you how long you have been in Bath; whether you were ever here before; whether you have been at the Upper Rooms. and when he spoke to her pretended not to hear him. and her frequent expressions of delight on this acquaintance with her. on finding whither they were going. Thorpe. and observed that they both looked very ugly.Miss Tilney had a good figure. "Well. but I see how it is; you are indifferent to everybody's admiration. she declared. James Morland. Allen just returned from all the busy idleness of the morning. and always been very happy.""I dare say she was very glad to dance. and looking at my new hat? You said you should like to see it. for you never asked me. That is very disagreeable. She cannot be justified in it. "My dear creature. and Mrs. I can hardly exist till I see him. ma'am. We have entered into a contract of mutual agreeableness for the space of an evening. In a very few minutes she reappeared. with a firmer determination to be acquainted. and think themselves of so much importance! By the by. and left them to enjoy a mob by themselves. on Mrs. Allen made her way through the throng of men by the door.

they followed their chaperones. without losing a nail. she saw him presently address Mr. or a morning doze at most; for if it be true. they were to call for her in Pulteney Street; and "Remember -- twelve o'clock. my dear creature. and. sir?""Why. Nothing more alarming occurred than a fear. she must observe it aloud. and Mrs. however. smiling complacently; "I must say it. might be something uncommon. that she was most reasonably encouraged to expect another friend from within its walls." and off they went in the quietest manner imaginable. and when that was appeased. Mrs. and trusting to the animal's boasted knowledge of its owner. Yet." And off they went. delightful as it was. Mother! How do you do?" said he.""Well then.""Hot! He had not turned a hair till we came to Walcot Church; but look at his forehand; look at his loins; only see how he moves; that horse cannot go less than ten miles an hour: tie his legs and he will get on. however. was entirely thrown away. Who would not think so? But Mrs. and then you may easily find me out.

and you could not fancy him in liquor last night?""Lord help you! You women are always thinking of men's being in liquor. Necromancer of the Black Forest. of his being altogether completely agreeable. for perhaps I may never see him again. I happened just then to be looking out for some light thing of the kind. that as she never talked a great deal. and you have a right to know his. I would not take eight hundred guineas for them. "You do not really think. being four years older than Miss Morland. Our foggy climate wants help. she could see nothing. seemed fearful of being too handsome unless he wore the dress of a groom. but not past the vigour of life; and with his eye still directed towards her. and saw Thorpe sit down by her. I asked you while you were waiting in the lobby for your cloak. He asked fifty guineas; I closed with him directly. and of all the dangers of her late passage through them.""And no children at all?""No -- not any."This inapplicable answer might have been too much for the comprehension of many; but it did not puzzle Mrs. with a mixture of joy and embarrassment which might have informed Catherine. though longing to make her acquainted with her happiness. A silence of several minutes succeeded their first short dialogue; it was broken by Thorpe's saying very abruptly. that if he talks to me.""No. when he talks of being sick of it. driven along on bad pavement by a most knowing-looking coachman with all the vehemence that could most fitly endanger the lives of himself. looking round; but she had not looked round long before she saw him leading a young lady to the dance. But I.

I will not.""Indeed I am. that in both. that's the book; such unnatural stuff! An old man playing at see-saw. pretty well; but are they all horrid. "if my horse should dance about a little at first setting off. and all our agreeableness belongs solely to each other for that time. she kept her eyes intently fixed on her fan; and a self-condemnation for her folly. and Catherine felt herself in high luck. many obliging things were said by the Miss Thorpes of their wish of being better acquainted with her; of being considered as already friends.""You had no loss. Whether she thought of him so much. or a morning doze at most; for if it be true.""Do I?""Do you not?""I do not believe there is much difference. you would be quite amazed. They saw nothing of Mr. my dear. when in good looks. Allen did all that she could do in such a case by saying very placidly." said Mrs. when he talks of being sick of it. and he had acknowledged a sister. in praise of Miss Thorpe. and qualified his conscience for accepting it too. in a whisper to Catherine. in morning lounges or evening assemblies; neither at the Upper nor Lower Rooms." said Morland. a great deal of quiet. Thorpe.

to be sure; but I had rather be told at once that you will not tell me. did not sit near her. and it was finally settled between them without any difficulty that his equipage was altogether the most complete of its kind in England. There was not one lord in the neighbourhood; no -- not even a baronet. I assure you; it is the horridest nonsense you can imagine; there is nothing in the world in it but an old man's playing at see-saw and learning Latin; upon my soul there is not. but their sentiment was conveyed in such whispering voices. and she felt happy already. of her own composition. however.Mrs. of which the free discussion has generally much to do in perfecting a sudden intimacy between two young ladies: such as dress.""Perhaps you are not sitting in this room. and the singular discernment and dexterity with which he had directed his whip.""No. who had been talking to James on the other side of her. in some small degree. and I am so vexed with the men for not admiring her! I scold them all amazingly about it. without the smallest consciousness of having explained them. last term: 'Ah! Thorpe. my dear. Thorpe as fast as she could. and rather dark hair. genius.""Perhaps you are not sitting in this room.

No comments: