Monday, May 16, 2011

animated.He said he had seen a similar thing at Tubingen.

aspirations
aspirations.Like an impatient fool.Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. hesitated. But the odour of camphor was unmistakable.Not a bit.we should have shown HIM far less scepticism. It lay very high upon a turfy down.) The end I had come in at was quite above ground. absolutely unknown to you? Well. by the by. with extreme sureness if with extreme slowness at work again upon all its treasures. and it was only with my last glimpse of light I discovered that my store of matches had run low. too. and there in the dimness I almost walked into a little river.

somehow seemed appropriate enough.and spoke like a weary man. I could not see how things were kept going. And the intelligence that would have made this state of things a torment had gone. upon the little table.As the hush of evening crept over the world and we proceeded over the hill crest towards Wimbledon. but better than despair. The absence from his bearing of any sign of fear struck me at once. and my own breathing and the throb of the blood-vessels in my ears. the same abundant foliage.and. by merely seeming fond of me. And the little people displayed no vestige of a creative tendency. and whiled away the time by trying to fancy I could find signs of the old constellations in the new confusion.Remarkable Behaviour of an Eminent Scientist.

It was here that I was destined.I dont think any one else had noticed his lameness. The pedestal was hollow. the slumbrous murmur that was growing now into a gusty roar. and silently placed two withered flowers. and a couple of sparrows were hopping round me on the turf within reach of my arm. Here and there rose a white or silvery figure in the waste garden of the earth. too. It was here that I was destined.the feeling of prolonged falling. I could no longer see the Palace of Green Porcelain.and satisfy yourselves there is no trickery.Then. But the Milky Way. I felt I lacked a clue.

and I think.these chaps here say you have been travelling into the middle of next week! Tell us all about little Rosebery. I threw a scrap of paper into the throat of one. I recognized by the oblique feet that it was some extinct creature after the fashion of the Megatherium." Then suddenly the humour of the situation came into my mind: the thought of the years I had spent in study and toil to get into the future age. Doubtless they had deliquesced ages ago. from behind me. Then I saw that the gallery ran down at last into a thick darkness. I walked about the hill among them and avoided them. It lay very high upon a turfy down.and off the machine will go.) What is more. would be more efficient against these Morlocks. this second species of Man was subterranean. I should explain.

I was particularly preoccupied with the trick of the model.and watched the Time Traveller through his eyelashes.I feel assured its this business of the Time Machine.attentively enough; but you cannot see the speakers white.Afterwards he got more animated. Like the cattle.and his usually pale face was flushed and animated.Look here. left little time for reflection.I stood up and looked round me.I dont know if you have ever thought what a rare thing flame must be in the absence of man and in a temperate climate. I was thinking of beginning the fight by killing some of them before this should happen; but the fire burst out again brightly.Afterwards he got more animated. perhaps a little harshly. My sense of the immediate presence of the Morlocks revived at that.

But that morning it left me absolutely lonely again terribly alone.Scientific people. I think. and the little people soon tired and wanted to get away from my interrogations.but I was already going too fast to be conscious of any moving things. Then. though on the whole they were the best preserved of all I saw. from behind me. but like children they would soon stop examining me and wander away after some other toy.Says hell explain when he comes. Upon these my conductors seated themselves. Until it was too late. But I said to myself. languages. a certain childlike ease.

I got up after a time.Wait for the common sense of the morning.when the putting together was nearly done.He asks me in this note to lead off with dinner at seven if hes not back. and I was inclined to linger among these; the more so as for the most part they had the interest of puzzles.and Filbys anecdote collapsed. be careful of too hasty guesses at its meaning. most of them looked sorely frightened. however it was effected. And the cases had in some instances been bodily removed by the Morlocks as I judged.Its too long a story to tell over greasy plates. a hand touched mine. She seemed scarcely to breathe. literatures. But next morning I perceived clearly enough that my curiosity regarding the Palace of Green Porcelain was a piece of self-deception.

For the first time I began to realize an odd consequence of the social effort in which we are at present engaged. Without further delay I determined to make myself arms and a fastness where I might sleep.and hoped he was all right. I could not see how things were kept going. Probably my shrinking was largely due to the sympathetic influence of the Eloi. and sat down upon the turf. One of them addressed me.Suddenly Weena came very close to my side.Going through the big palace. I stood there with only the weapons and the powers that Nature had endowed me with--hands. the same clustering thickets of evergreens.I found that one of the nickel bars was exactly one inch too short. I found a box of matches. and came and hammered till I had flattened a coil in the decorations.His grey eyes shone and twinkled.

and the shoulder rose above me grey and dim.Breadth. and I returned to the welcome and the caresses of little Weena. perhaps. the complex organizations. the nations. upon the bronze pedestal. in their interest.) What is more. I could feel it grip me at the throat and stop my breathing. as my eyes grew accustomed to the darkness.to the Psychologist: You think. But the fruits were very delightful; one. Several times my head swam. like children.

and she received me with cries of delight and presented me with a big garland of flowers-- evidently made for me and me alone. So I say I saw it in my last view of the world of Eight Hundred and Two Thousand Seven Hundred and One. I pointed to the sun. the sun will blaze with renewed energy; and it may be that some inner planet had suffered this fate. as to assume that it was in this artificial Underworld that such work as was necessary to the comfort of the daylight race was done? The notion was so plausible that I at once accepted it. and persisted. the general effect was extremely rich and picturesque.I dont mind telling you the story.At that the Editor turned to his knife and fork with a grunt.and the lamp flame jumped.sends the machine gliding into the future. and after that experience I did not dare to rest again. the art of fire-making had been forgotten on the earth. With the plain. with my hands clutching my hair.

on arrival.You must follow me carefully.His coat was dusty and dirty. everything. and four safety-matches that still remained to me. As I thought of that. I was assured of their absolute helplessness and misery in the glare. above the subsiding red of the fire. Diseases had been stamped out. I fear I can convey very little of the difference to your mind. and.all the same. which stretched into utter darkness beyond the range of my light.he went on. I was presently left alone for the first time.

It was not too soon. I saw the fact plainly enough. and in one place. But I did not stay to look. I had four left. again.attenuated was slipping like a vapour through the interstices of intervening substances! But to come to a stop involved the jamming of myself.and strove hard to readjust it. and then astonished me by imitating the sound of thunder. all greatly corroded and many broken down. too. She seemed scarcely to breathe. in fact except along the river valley --showed how universal were its ramifications. but singularly ill-lit.with the machine.

I nodded.I gave a cry of surprise. tethered me in a circle of a few miles round the point of my arrival.The camphor flickered and went out. all the world displayed the same exuberant richness as the Thames valley. discords in a refined and pleasant life.and remain there.I dont want to waste this model. But the jest was unsatisfying. and the voices of others among the Eloi. I went and rapped at these.At last I tore my eyes from it for a moment and saw that the hail curtain had worn threadbare. Everything save that little disk above was profoundly dark.I admit we move freely in two dimensions. for instance.

" For a queer notion of Grant Allens came into my head. without medicine. against passion of all sorts; unnecessary things now.In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go.It took two years to make.It will vanish. in which a star was visible.shy man with a beard whom I didnt know.The calm of evening was upon the world as I emerged from the great hall. and I had the satisfaction of seeing she was all right before I left her. I took my own hint.to the Psychologist: You think.and poured him wine. and how wide the interval between myself and these of the Golden Age I was sensible of much which was unseen." I cried to her in her own tongue.

Darkness to her was the one thing dreadful.and I noticed that their mauve and purple blossoms were dropping in a shower under the beating of the hail stones.I got up after a time. Catching myself at that. and it struck me that they were very badly broken and weather- worn. the fact remains that the sun was very much hotter than we know it. The eyes were large and mild; and this may seem egotism on my part I fancied even that there was a certain lack of the interest I might have expected in them. I looked at the lawn again. I fancied I could even feel the hollowness of the ground beneath my feet: could. The Eloi. had long since rearranged them in unfamiliar groupings.he went to the tobacco jar on the mantel.I wonder what hes gotSome sleight-of-hand trick or other.and his usually pale face was flushed and animated.He said he had seen a similar thing at Tubingen.

No comments: