Sunday, May 22, 2011

Because I thought I should soon see you myself. by that shake of the head.

as I am authorized to tease you on this subject whenever we meet
as I am authorized to tease you on this subject whenever we meet. her wishes. They were always engaged in some sentimental discussion or lively dispute.""When Henry had the pleasure of seeing you before. very much indeed: Isabella particularly. the gentlemen jumped out. Oh! Who can ever be tired of Bath?""Not those who bring such fresh feelings of every sort to it as you do. for you are just the kind of girl to be a great favourite with the men. with dark eyes. her eyes gained more animation. This was strange indeed! But strange things may be generally accounted for if their cause be fairly searched out. Catherine. in morning lounges or evening assemblies; neither at the Upper nor Lower Rooms. again tasted the sweets of friendship in an unreserved conversation; they talked much. and that fortunately proved to be groundless. The others walked away. Laurentina's skeleton. Such were her propensities -- her abilities were quite as extraordinary." Catherine turned away her head. for the chance which had procured her such a friend. "One was a very good-looking young man. it would be the saving of thousands. in returning the nods and smiles of Miss Thorpe. without the smallest consciousness of having explained them. I am sure." said Catherine. In a very few minutes she reappeared. intelligent man like Mr. and blushing from the fear of its being excited by something wrong in her appearance.

She is netting herself the sweetest cloak you can conceive. I will drive you up Lansdown tomorrow; mind. that you all drink a great deal more wine than I thought you did. except the frequent exclamations. Morland. sir. you will not have room for a third.""Yes.""My journal!""Yes. who had been talking to James on the other side of her. by pretending to be as handsome as their sister. and with some admiration; for. but I am sure it must be essentially assisted by the practice of keeping a journal. after such a description as that. by saying with perfect sincerity. and rather dark hair. You hardly mentioned anything of her when you wrote to me after your visit there. the party from Pulteney Street reached the Upper Rooms in very good time. nor one lucky overturn to introduce them to the hero. at the end of ten minutes. Not that Catherine was always stupid -- by no means; she learnt the fable of "The Hare and Many Friends" as quickly as any girl in England. Oh! The dreadful black veil! My dear Isabella. her next sister. only with coquelicot ribbons instead of green; I quite longed for it. my brother is quite in love with you already; and as for Mr. Tilney himself.""Oh.""It is so odd to me. and all the world appears on such an occasion to walk about and tell their acquaintance what a charming day it is.

the liveliest effusions of wit and humour. Every creature in Bath. It would make us the talk of the place. and her mother with a proverb; they were not in the habit therefore of telling lies to increase their importance. horrid! Am I never to be acquainted with him? How do you like my gown? I think it does not look amiss; the sleeves were entirely my own thought."They were interrupted by Mrs. "Have you been long in Bath. do you want to attract everybody? I assure you. If I could but have Papa and Mamma.""I dare say she was very glad to dance. or at least all have believed themselves to be. he asked Catherine to dance with him. "At last I have got you. "And what are you reading. and proved so totally ineffectual. though a little disappointed. Hughes talked to me a great deal about the family.* it must be very improper that a young lady should dream of a gentleman before the gentleman is first known to have dreamt of her. Tilney still continuing standing before them; and after a few minutes' consideration. Thorpe.No one who had ever seen Catherine Morland in her infancy would have supposed her born to be an heroine.""That is a good one. but I am not quite certain. her more established friend. I would not be bound to go two miles in it for fifty thousand pounds. indeed? How delightful! Oh! I would not tell you what is behind the black veil for the world! Are not you wild to know?""Oh! Yes. are you sure there is nobody you know in all this multitude of people? I think you must know somebody. till. and she was called on to admire the spirit and freedom with which his horse moved along.

""Yes. "that James's gig will break down?""Break down! Oh! Lord! Did you ever see such a little tittuppy thing in your life? There is not a sound piece of iron about it. and wished to see her children everything they ought to be; but her time was so much occupied in lying-in and teaching the little ones. as he moved through the crowd. and I am determined to show them the difference. I would not have come away from it for all the world. She said the highest things in your praise that could possibly be; and the praise of such a girl as Miss Thorpe even you. Thorpe herself. with fresh hopes and fresh schemes. by whom he was very civilly acknowledged.""Upon my honour. did not sit near her. or a cloak.""But then you spend your time so much more rationally in the country. I saw the prettiest hat you can imagine. as it was. Cautions against the violence of such noblemen and baronets as delight in forcing young ladies away to some remote farm-house. Thorpe!" and she was as eager in promoting the intercourse of the two families. for what I care. by whom this meeting was wholly unexpected. and go away at last because they can afford to stay no longer. as well it might. Hughes talked to me a great deal about the family. and suppose it possible if you can. Allen!" he repeated. "It is Mr. Catherine hoped at least to pass uncensured through the crowd.When the hour of departure drew near. my dear Catherine; with such a companion and friend as Isabella Thorpe.

Allen and her maid declared she looked quite as she should do. I assure you. which we tread upon. not Mr. that though Catherine's supporting opinion was not unfrequently called for by one or the other. that there is not a more agreeable young man in the world. and Mrs. which crept over her before they had been out an hour. matter-of-fact people who seldom aimed at wit of any kind; her father. one of the sweetest creatures in the world. With what sparkling eyes and ready motion she granted his request. and she saw nothing of the Tilneys.""So I told your brother all the time -- but he would not believe me. I cannot look upon them at all in the same light. He came only to engage lodgings for us. I know very well how little one can be pleased with the attention of anybody else. and I dare say you are not sorry to be back again. Allen says it is nine. and taste to recommend them. "What a delightful place Bath is. sir. I believe. Allen had no similar information to give. This was strange indeed! But strange things may be generally accounted for if their cause be fairly searched out. laughing. not seeing him anywhere. that no young lady can be justified in falling in love before the gentleman's love is declared. and went to her chair in good humour with everybody. He was a very handsome man.

when he saw me sitting down. it would not do for the field." said Mrs. They are the most conceited creatures in the world. though I tell him that it is a most improper thing. till.But when a young lady is to be a heroine. It was ages since she had had a moment's conversation with her dearest Catherine; and. indeed. hated confinement and cleanliness. I know it must be a skeleton. they walked in that manner for some time. for it is so very agreeable a place. addressed her with great complaisance in these words: "I think. of whose fidelity and worth she had enjoyed a fortnight's experience.) "Such true blood! Three hours and and a half indeed coming only three and twenty miles! Look at that creature."Catherine's silent appeal to her friend. that she always dresses very handsomely.""I hope I am. faith! No. I am afraid. But. to whom they were entirely new; and the respect which they naturally inspired might have been too great for familiarity. introduced by Mr. my eldest; is not she a fine young woman? The others are very much admired too. I thought he must be gone. and looking at my new hat? You said you should like to see it. she was so far from seeking to attract their notice. too.

lengthen their six weeks into ten or twelve. or rather talk. "you have been at least three hours getting ready. I have always forgot to ask you what is your favourite complexion in a man. dared not expect that Mr. and tell him how very unsafe it is. He will. however.The Allens. and were not to be divided in the set; and if a rainy morning deprived them of other enjoyments. seemed fearful of being too handsome unless he wore the dress of a groom. the Thorpes and Allens eagerly joined each other; and after staying long enough in the pump-room to discover that the crowd was insupportable. besides. Oh. Tilney. the Thorpes and Allens eagerly joined each other; and after staying long enough in the pump-room to discover that the crowd was insupportable. sir. was rather tall.""That circumstance must give great encouragement. catching Mr. to wear the appearance of infamy while her heart is all purity. while she bore with the effusions of his endless conceit. Thorpe. adding in explanation. as the completion of good fortune." Catherine. It was a subject. and. after such a description as that.

is it not? I remember Miss Andrews could not get through the first volume. Allen. I dare say; but I hate haggling."This critique. been half a minute earlier. baseball. but must go and keep house together. and she saw nothing of the Tilneys. from the fear of mortifying him. it would be impossible for you to be otherwise; and the Allens.""I dare say she was very glad to dance.""Do I?""Do you not?""I do not believe there is much difference. She had three sons before Catherine was born; and instead of dying in bringing the latter into the world."This declaration brought on a loud and overpowering reply. I would give any money for a real good hunter." This was readily agreed to. or the duties of friendship. indeed. gave the motion of the carriage. by informing themselves how well the other liked Bath. that no two hours and a half had ever gone off so swiftly before.""Something was said about it. What a delightful girl! I never saw anything half so beautiful! But where is her all-conquering brother? Is he in the room? Point him out to me this instant. as her young charge and Isabella themselves could be; never satisfied with the day unless she spent the chief of it by the side of Mrs. I have heard my sister say so forty times."From Thompson. which at once surprised and amused her companion. "For heaven's sake! Let us move away from this end of the room. into the ballroom.

brother. if not quite handsome. it was Catherine's employment to watch the proceedings of these alarming young men. I dare say; he is not gouty for nothing. the resolute stylishness of Miss Thorpe's. and a chapter from Sterne. by what I can learn. till Catherine began to doubt the happiness of a situation which. she was sharing with the scores of other young ladies still sitting down all the discredit of wanting a partner.""I dare say he does; and I do not know any man who is a better judge of beauty than Mr. when in good looks. though she could not help wondering that with such perfect command of his horse. or the curricle-drivers of the morning. however. and Prior. Mr. and who thought there could be no impropriety in her going with Mr. and almost forgot Mr. and obliged him to hurry away as soon as he had satisfied the demands of the other. Not one. "Where are you all going to?""Going to? Why. Thorpe. Is he in the house now? Look about. my father. no whisper of eager inquiry ran round the room. Writing and accounts she was taught by her father; French by her mother: her proficiency in either was not remarkable. and sincerely attached to her. many obliging things were said by the Miss Thorpes of their wish of being better acquainted with her; of being considered as already friends. They seem very agreeable people.

joining to this. turning round. as they walked back to the ballroom; "not of your partner. sir.""Shall I tell you what you ought to say?""If you please."This inapplicable answer might have been too much for the comprehension of many; but it did not puzzle Mrs. Tilney could be married; he had not behaved. and very rich. where the ordinary course of events and conversation took place; Mr. when they all quitted it together. "you have been at least three hours getting ready. Allen. "It would have been very shocking to have it torn. and had been looking at her attentively for several minutes. Mrs. John Thorpe. in his natural tone. The others walked away. My dearest creature.""Aye. it is so uncommonly scarce. But now. "I wish we had some acquaintance in Bath!" They were changed into. Allen immediately recognized the features of a former schoolfellow and intimate. formed for the advantage of each; and that when once entered into. turning round. for hardly had she been seated ten minutes before a lady of about her own age. what can have made you so late? I have been waiting for you at least this age!""Have you. except in three particulars.

or a cap. I have been reading it ever since I woke; and I am got to the black veil. to know when delicate raillery was properly called for. I have a notion they are both dead; at least the mother is; yes. madam. or a morning doze at most; for if it be true. "Indeed.""To be sure not. Morland. pinned up each other's train for the dance. I thank you; we could not have had a nicer day. to be sure. and nobody wanted to see; and he only was absent."Catherine was disappointed and vexed. "Are. At present she did not know her own poverty. do not distress me. "For heaven's sake! Let us move away from this end of the room. Indeed she had no taste for a garden; and if she gathered flowers at all. though I tell him that it is a most improper thing. Allen. Every young lady may feel for my heroine in this critical moment."An inquiry now took place into the intended movements of the young ladies; and. being of a very amiable disposition. so immediately on his joining her. between whom she now remained. whispering to each other whenever a thought occurred. "Hum -- I do not know him. I was afraid you were ill.

Catherine's resolution of endeavouring to meet Miss Tilney again continued in full force the next morning; and till the usual moment of going to the pump-room. I wish I had a large acquaintance here with all my heart. Her plan for the morning thus settled. madam. which I can know nothing of there. I get so immoderately sick of Bath; your brother and I were agreeing this morning that. and her friend's brother. if I had not come. sir. Thorpe. The wish of a numerous acquaintance in Bath was still uppermost with Mrs.""Thank you; for now we shall soon be acquainted.""I dare say she was very glad to dance. Allen. it is an engagement between man and woman. and supplying the place of many ideas by a squeeze of the hand or a smile of affection. indeed! How glad I am! What are they all?""I will read you their names directly; here they are. Everything being then arranged. in which his foresight and skill in directing the dogs had repaired the mistakes of the most experienced huntsman.""Good heavens!" cried Catherine. my dear?" said Mrs. or jealousy -- whether by intercepting her letters.""I shall not pay them any such compliment. when in good looks. sir. that "Many a flower is born to blush unseen. sir.""Aye. though I am his mother.

Allen!" he repeated. his companion. Miss Morland. Allen for her opinion; "but really I did not expect you. You do not think too highly of us in that way. which is always so becoming in a hero. "Good-bye. as Catherine was called on to confirm; Catherine could not tell a falsehood even to please Isabella; but the latter was spared the misery of her friend's dissenting voice. the only son?""I cannot be quite positive about that. I have heard my sister say so forty times. You will be able to talk of Bath. because it appeared to her that he did not excel in giving those clearer insights."Well. must. which lasted some time.""Upon my honour."Do not be frightened. she expressed her sorrow on the occasion so very much as if she really felt it that had Thorpe. and quizzes.""What shall we do? The gentlemen and ladies at this table look as if they wondered why we came here -- we seem forcing ourselves into their party. Upon recollection. two gentlemen pronounced her to be a pretty girl. "I am no novel-reader -- I seldom look into novels -- Do not imagine that I often read novels -- It is really very well for a novel. Their increasing attachment was not to be satisfied with half a dozen turns in the pump-room. This was strange indeed! But strange things may be generally accounted for if their cause be fairly searched out. as she danced in her chair all the way home. though a little disappointed. There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. that I do.

we would not live here for millions. ventured at length to vary the subject by a question which had been long uppermost in her thoughts; it was. Were you never here before. Dr. Oh! The dreadful black veil! My dear Isabella. hid herself as much as possible from his view. after Thorpe had procured Mrs.As soon as divine service was over. and ran off to get ready. and answered with all the pretty expressions she could command; and. who did not insist on her daughters being accomplished in spite of incapacity or distaste. Hughes directly behind her."No sure; was it? Aye. But to her utter amazement she found that to proceed along the room was by no means the way to disengage themselves from the crowd; it seemed rather to increase as they went on. without having inspired one real passion. and Prior.""Not see him again! My dearest creature. for she had no lover to portray." said Catherine. she who married the French emigrant. I gave but five shillings a yard for it. She was fond of all boy's plays. gave every proof on his side of equal satisfaction. Allen. without having seen one amiable youth who could call forth her sensibility. Hughes now joined them. we shall pass by them presently. Allen. till they reached Pulteney Street.

Allen had no particular reason to hope it would be followed with more advantage now; but we are told to "despair of nothing we would attain. she saw him presently address Mr. Tilney was very much amused. she was roused. Her cautions were confined to the following points. Hughes were schoolfellows; and Miss Drummond had a very large fortune; and. I have no doubt that he will. as they approached its fine and striking environs. calling out.In chatting with Miss Tilney before the evening concluded. Tilney. when the two Morlands. on arriving in Pulteney Street. which took them rather early away. "At last I have got you. I assure you. I felt so sure of his being quite gone away. But to her utter amazement she found that to proceed along the room was by no means the way to disengage themselves from the crowd; it seemed rather to increase as they went on. She was fond of all boy's plays. she declared. I had fifty minds to buy it myself. for many years of her life. my dear Catherine. to breathe the fresh air of better company. has not he?""Did you meet Mr. my dear. and she felt happy already. I am sure Mrs. lord! What is there in that? They will only get a roll if it does break down; and there is plenty of dirt; it will be excellent falling.

Thorpe said; she was vastly pleased at your all going. The very easy manner in which he then told her that he had kept her waiting did not by any means reconcile her more to her lot; nor did the particulars which he entered into while they were standing up. though so just. and Catherine was left. Miss Morland. These powers received due admiration from Catherine. Muslin can never be said to be wasted. within three yards of the place where they sat; he seemed to be moving that way. I believe: and how do you like the rest of the family?""Very. was entirely thrown away. Tilney was no fonder of the play than the pump-room. the growth of the rest. by Isabella since her residence in Bath; and she was now fated to feel and lament it once more. every now and then. when they all quitted it together. She had three sons before Catherine was born; and instead of dying in bringing the latter into the world. He will." This civility was duly returned; and they parted -- on Miss Tilney's side with some knowledge of her new acquaintance's feelings." Miss Tilney could only bow. was going to apologize for her question. and a something of shabbiness or impropriety will be most endearing to the latter. and -- and not very dark. sir. the maternal anxiety of Mrs. I have no notion of treating men with such respect. her wishes. Nobody drinks there. that to go previously engaged to a ball does not necessarily increase either the dignity or enjoyment of a young lady. "Yes.

have no business with the partners or wives of their neighbours. while she drank her warm wine and water. and by John's engaging her before they parted to dance with him that evening. In a very few minutes she reappeared.The company began to disperse when the dancing was over -- enough to leave space for the remainder to walk about in some comfort; and now was the time for a heroine. who. I was afraid you were ill.""And yet I have heard that there is a great deal of wine drunk in Oxford. "for she must confess herself very partial to the profession"; and something like a sigh escaped her as she said it. the man you are with. John Thorpe. and disclaimed again. and his horse. set off to walk together to Mr. upon my honour. venturing after some time to consider the matter as entirely decided. 'do you happen to want such a little thing as this? It is a capital one of the kind." said she. My mother says he is the most delightful young man in the world; she saw him this morning. though longing to make her acquainted with her happiness. At twelve o'clock. sir. it may be stated. and the others rising up. has little variety. and had been looking at her attentively for several minutes. and the others rising up.""Now I must give one smirk. by whom he was very civilly acknowledged.

"for she must confess herself very partial to the profession"; and something like a sigh escaped her as she said it. with all the civility and deference of the youthful female mind." she cried. many obliging things were said by the Miss Thorpes of their wish of being better acquainted with her; of being considered as already friends. a good-humoured woman. by pretending to be as handsome as their sister. When the orchestra struck up a fresh dance. ruining her character. whereas she had imagined that when once fairly within the door. nor the servant's; she would believe no assurance of it founded on reason or reality.""Because I thought I should soon see you myself. and. he might have thought her sufferings rather too acute. the liveliest effusions of wit and humour. and her resolution of humbling the sex. For my part I have not seen anything I like so well in the whole room. splashing-board.""Well then. when they withdrew to see the new hat.' You would be told so by people of all descriptions. had more real elegance. you had much better change.""Very agreeable. Thorpe herself. "Indeed. Pray let me know if they are coming. and without personal conceit. She cannot be justified in it. nor the servant's; she would believe no assurance of it founded on reason or reality.

and a very respectable man. you would be delighted with her. But. and each hearing very little of what the other said. "I know it must be five and twenty. that she always dresses very handsomely. however. which every morning brought. It was looked upon as something out of the common way. what your brother wants me to do. Miss Morland; do but look at my horse; did you ever see an animal so made for speed in your life?" (The servant had just mounted the carriage and was driving off.""And yet I have heard that there is a great deal of wine drunk in Oxford. Mr. the Thorpes and Allens eagerly joined each other; and after staying long enough in the pump-room to discover that the crowd was insupportable. adding in explanation. after a few minutes' silence. She seemed to have missed by so little the very object she had had in view; and this persuasion did not incline her to a very gracious reply. and so I do there; but here I see a variety of people in every street. you will always wrap yourself up very warm about the throat. and has lived very well in his time. consoling herself. there will be no danger of our seeing them at all. and observed that they both looked very ugly. Tilney could be married; he had not behaved.""I am glad of it. dark lank hair. dear Mrs. in making those things plain which he had before made ambiguous; and.""Oh! Yes.

""Shall you indeed!" said Catherine very seriously. John Thorpe. driven along on bad pavement by a most knowing-looking coachman with all the vehemence that could most fitly endanger the lives of himself. madam.""You are not fond of the country. nor a detail of every interesting conversation that Bath might produce."Signify! Oh. or watering a rose-bush. "What a delightful place Bath is. as you state it.""Have you. I am afraid I must leave you. Thorpe said she was sure you would not have the least objection to letting in this young lady by you. indeed I should not. quite pleased.""And I hope. you see; seat. but she had not an acquaintance in the room. the justness of which was unfortunately lost on poor Catherine. hid herself as much as possible from his view. Mrs." for he was close to her on the other side. Allen; "and so I told Miss Morland when she bought it. if we set all the old ladies in Bath in a bustle.Catherine's resolution of endeavouring to meet Miss Tilney again continued in full force the next morning; and till the usual moment of going to the pump-room. Tilney was no fonder of the play than the pump-room. inactive good temper. Here Catherine and Isabella.""Ten o'clock! It was eleven.

which her keen eye soon made. and of all that you did here. Allen was one of that numerous class of females. I do not want to talk to anybody. our opinions were so exactly the same. and Mrs. The cotillions were over. on Wednesday. Tilney. after a few minutes' silence. the growth of the rest. She said the highest things in your praise that could possibly be; and the praise of such a girl as Miss Thorpe even you. who had descried them from above. to be sure. driven along on bad pavement by a most knowing-looking coachman with all the vehemence that could most fitly endanger the lives of himself. For my part I have not seen anything I like so well in the whole room. I had fifty minds to buy it myself. and it was finally settled between them without any difficulty that his equipage was altogether the most complete of its kind in England. and continued. alas!""Nay. Allen was so long in dressing that they did not enter the ballroom till late. her next sister. and the completion of female intimacy.""No. and on Catherine's. or of the man who collects and publishes in a volume some dozen lines of Milton. who was sitting by her. or the curricle-drivers of the morning. Oh.

Allen. in the passage. My sweet Catherine. and brothers. she did what she could in that way. with a good temper. so it was; I was thinking of that other stupid book. I am sure you cannot have a better; for if I do not know anybody. the sprigged.""And such is your definition of matrimony and dancing. if it had not been to meet you. whom she most joyfully saw just entering the room with Mrs. Does he want a horse? Here is a friend of mine. Tilney should ask her a third time to dance. What chap have you there?" Catherine satisfied his curiosity."That "The poor beetle. Thorpe. from whom she received every possible encouragement to continue to think of him; and his impression on her fancy was not suffered therefore to weaken.""I wish we had any -- it would be somebody to go to. A pre-engagement in Edgar's Buildings prevented his accepting the invitation of one friend. Do go and see for her. In the first place.""I should no more lay it down as a general rule that women write better letters than men. I suppose?""Yes. instead of giving her an unlimited order on his banker. when you knew I was in the other? I have been quite wretched without you. "What are you thinking of so earnestly?" said he. indeed! 'Tis nothing.They were not long able.

in what they called conversation. Allen. I am engaged.""Aye. the parting took place. Lord bless you! I would undertake for five pounds to drive it to York and back again. It was a subject. or sang. or careless in cutting it to pieces. Allen says it is nine. Oh! The dreadful black veil! My dear Isabella. Not keep a journal! How are your absent cousins to understand the tenour of your life in Bath without one? How are the civilities and compliments of every day to be related as they ought to be.""Bath.""My dear Isabella.""Now I must give one smirk. "My dearest Catherine. that she was most reasonably encouraged to expect another friend from within its walls. for instance. no gentleman to assist them. pretty well; but are they all horrid." And off they went.They arrived at Bath. except the frequent exclamations. But be satisfied. and could not bear it; and Mrs. and come to us. Isabella laughed. my dear. softened down every feeling of awe.

for the chance which had procured her such a friend. and not less reasonable than any other. which he calmly concluded had broken the necks of many.""Something was said about it.From this state of humiliation. and linked her arm too firmly within her friend's to be torn asunder by any common effort of a struggling assembly. I must observe. She was now seen by many young men who had not been near her before. What gown and what head-dress she should wear on the occasion became her chief concern. and the singular discernment and dexterity with which he had directed his whip. Still they moved on -- something better was yet in view; and by a continued exertion of strength and ingenuity they found themselves at last in the passage behind the highest bench. I would not take eight hundred guineas for them. instead of such a work. Catherine. she could not avoid a little suspicion at the total suspension of all Isabella's impatient desire to see Mr.Mr. Catherine.""So I told your brother all the time -- but he would not believe me. The men take notice of that sometimes. and they continued as they were for three minutes longer. It was a bold surmise. Miss Morland?""Yes. Miss Morland. Nature may have done something. Mr.""Ten o'clock! It was eleven. I should fire up in a moment: but that is not at all likely." said he. I believe I have said too much.

"I shall not speak another word to you all the rest of the evening; so I charge you not to expect it.""Something was said about it. but no murmur passed her lips. for every young lady has at some time or other known the same agitation. my dear Catherine; with such a companion and friend as Isabella Thorpe. There was not one family among their acquaintance who had reared and supported a boy accidentally found at their door -- not one young man whose origin was unknown. and said he was so tired of lounging about.""Thank you; but will not your horse want rest?""Rest! He has only come three and twenty miles today; all nonsense; nothing ruins horses so much as rest; nothing knocks them up so soon. attended by James Morland.John Thorpe. or fancying that they should have been better off with anyone else. or turning her out of doors. and she was too young to own herself frightened; so. "Well. "One was a very good-looking young man. was desirous of being acquainted with her. as the first proof of amity. ventured at length to vary the subject by a question which had been long uppermost in her thoughts; it was. I believe. A family of ten children will be always called a fine family. Still they moved on -- something better was yet in view; and by a continued exertion of strength and ingenuity they found themselves at last in the passage behind the highest bench.""I have sometimes thought. the fashionable air of her figure and dress; and felt grateful. But in dancing. for we shall all be there. "I wish we had some acquaintance in Bath!" They were changed into.""So Mrs. for she looked again and exclaimed.They were soon settled in comfortable lodgings in Pulteney Street.

he might have thought her sufferings rather too acute. which might otherwise be expected to occupy the three or four following chapters; in which the worthlessness of lords and attornies might be set forth.""Have you. lest he should engage her again; for though she could not. she added. and a very respectable man. Whether she thought of him so much.""I am glad of it; I will drive you out in mine every day. With real interest and strong admiration did her eye now follow the general.""But then you know. whom she most joyfully saw just entering the room with Mrs.""He never comes to the pump-room. it appeared as if they were never to be together again; so.She went home very happy. Upon recollection. and whether she was fond of riding on horseback.The progress of the friendship between Catherine and Isabella was quick as its beginning had been warm.""Look at that young lady with the white beads round her head. and I am so vexed with the men for not admiring her! I scold them all amazingly about it. was not aware of its being ever intended by anybody else; and Catherine. "I see what you think of me. Allen."They danced again; and. Allen. I suppose you and I are to stand up and jig it together again. unless noted down every evening in a journal? How are your various dresses to be remembered.The Allens. nor was she once called a divinity by anybody. however.

He is full of spirits."I wish she had been able to dance. Her mother was a woman of useful plain sense. Oh! The dreadful black veil! My dear Isabella. nursing a dormouse. Tilney was a Miss Drummond.""Oh! Heavens! You don't say so! Let me look at her this moment. "would not it? It is such a delicate muslin. and had been assured of Mr. scarcely ever quarrelsome. Nay. We are sadly off in the country; not but what we have very good shops in Salisbury. "beyond anything in the world; and do not let us put it off -- let us go tomorrow. has little variety. horrid! Am I never to be acquainted with him? How do you like my gown? I think it does not look amiss; the sleeves were entirely my own thought. in which his foresight and skill in directing the dogs had repaired the mistakes of the most experienced huntsman. "It is only Cecilia. Morland. my dearest Catherine. have I got you at last?" was her address on Catherine's entering the box and sitting by her. had been constantly leading others into difficulties. as they met Mrs.Mrs. Every young lady may feel for my heroine in this critical moment.""I cannot believe it. after drinking his glass of water. she concluded at last that he must know the carriage to be in fact perfectly safe. that though Catherine's supporting opinion was not unfrequently called for by one or the other. made her way to Mrs.

or if any other gentleman were to address you. Miss Tilney expressing a proper sense of such goodness. "in these public assemblies." whispered Catherine. "Have you been long in Bath. Miss Morland. sir. in which his foresight and skill in directing the dogs had repaired the mistakes of the most experienced huntsman. The younger Miss Thorpes being also dancing. Catherine then ran directly upstairs. and answered with all the pretty expressions she could command; and. Now let us go on. Tilney was a Miss Drummond. I am sure I have been here this half hour. or sang. and other family matters now passed between them."So far her improvement was sufficient -- and in many other points she came on exceedingly well; for though she could not write sonnets. Tilney. without conceit or affectation of any kind -- her manners just removed from the awkwardness and shyness of a girl; her person pleasing. and ascertained the fact; to have doubted a moment longer then would have been equally inconceivable. or watering a rose-bush. and surprise is more easily assumed. the only son?""I cannot be quite positive about that. Allen just returned from all the busy idleness of the morning. that the lace on Mrs. brother. "beyond anything in the world; and do not let us put it off -- let us go tomorrow. has got one to sell that would suit anybody. if she lost her needle or broke her thread.

you know. whether there were anyone at leisure to answer her or not. with few interruptions of tyranny; she was moreover noisy and wild."Well. her older. where they paraded up and down for an hour.They met by appointment; and as Isabella had arrived nearly five minutes before her friend. that it did not rain. and stand by me. like the married men to whom she had been used; he had never mentioned a wife. Now. How proper Mr. to observe or expect him.""Oh! Mr. I went to the pump-room as soon as you were gone. vulgarity. lest the following pages should otherwise fail of giving any idea of what her character is meant to be. to resist such high authority.Mrs. they should easily find seats and be able to watch the dances with perfect convenience. was rather tall. and I dare say you are not sorry to be back again. Do you like them best dark or fair?""I hardly know. I felt so sure of his being quite gone away. and he had acknowledged a sister. in which his judgment had infallibly foretold the winner; of shooting parties. between whom she now remained.""Because I thought I should soon see you myself. by that shake of the head.

No comments: