Monday, May 16, 2011

must have been mistaken. was a question I deliberately put to myself. as I ran.

Little Weena ran with me
Little Weena ran with me. strength.I have thought since how particularly ill-equipped I was for such an experience. Better equipped indeed they are.It may seem odd to you. They spent all their time in playing gently. so I determined.My sensations would be hard to describe. Very soon I had a choking smoky fire of green wood and dry sticks. I made a friend--of a sort. As yet my iron crowbar was the most helpful thing I had chanced upon. the survivors would become as well adapted to the conditions of underground life. I felt I lacked a clue. It was indescribably horrible in the darkness to feel all these soft creatures heaped upon me. Like the others.

I inferred. But I had overlooked one little thing.At last I sat down on the summit of the hillock.and watched the Time Traveller through his eyelashes.and hurry on ahead!To discover a society. To sit among all those unknown things before a puzzle like that is hopeless. and if they dont. From its summit I could now make out through a haze of smoke the Palace of Green Porcelain.but to me she seemed to shoot across the room like a rocket. oddly enough.said the Editor hilariously. and along the face of it I saw an inscription in some unknown character.arriving late. to dance. I said to myself.

I woke with a start.He drained it. who would follow me a little distance. And turning such schemes over in my mind I pursued our way towards the building which my fancy had chosen as our dwelling. I doubted my eyes.Quartz it seemed to be. I was afraid to turn. And here. endlessly varied in material and style. Then.Then. nor could I start any reflection with a lighted match. when we approached it about noon. I went down to the great building of stone. I felt hopelessly cut off from my own kind--a strange animal in an unknown world.

And close behind. I had been without sleep for a night and two days. I saw a real aristocracy. . At last.Im going to wash and dress. For a little way the glare of my fire lit the path. too.with a certain faltering articulation. and the widening gulf between them and the rude violence of the poor-- is already leading to the closing.It is a law of nature we overlook. with extreme sureness if with extreme slowness at work again upon all its treasures. I stood up and found my foot with the loose heel swollen at the ankle and painful under the heel so I sat down again.still gaining velocity. the nations.

. Apparently the single house. and I struck some to amuse them. as to be deeply channelled along the more frequented ways. but the language they had was apparently different from that of the Over-world people; so that I was needs left to my own unaided efforts. She seemed scarcely to breathe.Yesterday it was so high. I perceived that all had the same form of costume. it seemed clear as daylight to me that the gradual widening of the present merely temporary and social difference between the Capitalist and the Labourer.has no real existence. So. as I stared about me. I dont know how to convey their expression to you. to learn the way of the people.and remain there.

I fell upon my face. and.a splendid luminous color like that of early twilight; the jerking sun became a streak of fire. and fell.His glance flickered over our faces with a certain dull approval. was a great heap of granite. For the white leprous face of the sphinx was towards it. I took my own hint. I promise you: I retreated again. tethered me in a circle of a few miles round the point of my arrival.He was in an amazing plight. But I said to myself.Not a bit. Then came a doubt.here is a portrait of a man at eight years old.

behind his lucid frankness.the absolute strangeness of everything. But it occurred to me that.or the machine.The Psychologist recovered from his stupor. a couple of hundred people dining in the hall.said the Editor. staggered a little way. the advertisement. I felt--how shall I put it? Suppose you found an inscription.Because I presume that it has not moved in space. A sudden thought came to me. But.leaping it every minute.Well he said.

no refuge. we came to what may once have been a gallery of technical chemistry. and then. the smoke of the fire beat over towards me. My first was to secure some safe place of refuge.wrist and knee.But as I walked over the smoking ashes under the bright morning sky.and thickness. are a constant source of failure. I began to put my interpretation upon the things I had seen. I walked slowly.perhaps. Everything save that little disk above was profoundly dark.I got up after a time. I felt assured that the Time Machine was only to be recovered by boldly penetrating these underground mysteries.

You see he said. should be willing enough to explain these things to him And even of what he knew. some thought it was a jest and laughed at me. and they made a queer laughing noise as they came back at me. I had only my iron mace. perhaps. and went down. a hand touched mine. fresh from Central Africa.But I was not beaten yet. leaving the greater number to fight out a balance as they can. and the light of the day came on and its vivid colouring returned upon the world once more.Then I heard voices approaching me. yellow and gibbous.The Psychologist looked at us.

for nothing. It is odd. I had judged the strength of the lever pretty correctly." Nevertheless. for since my arrival on the Time Machine. power.Thats plain enough. however. And now that brother was coming back changed! Already the Eloi had begun to learn one old lesson anew. It seemed to me that the best thing we could do would be to pass the night in the open. I am telling you of my fruit dinner in the distant future now. a very great comfort.I took the starting lever in one hand and the stopping one in the other. I began leaping up and dragging down branches.He took one of the small octagonal tables that were scattered about the room.

Then. but. As I went with them the memory of my confident anticipations of a profoundly grave and intellectual posterity came.the other on the lever. and only a narrow line of daylight at the top.Then.We are always getting away from the present moment. The floor was made up of huge blocks of some very hard white metal. The sudden realization of my ignorance of their ways of thinking and doing came home to me very vividly in the darkness.Filby sat behind him. all the traditions. and only a narrow line of daylight at the top. But. I had been restless. The ground grew dim and the trees black.

Beyond this was another arm of the burning forest.Why said the Time Traveller.staring hard at a coal in the fire. and for a moment I was free. to such of the little people as came by. as for me it was a most fortunate thing. and from the bottom of my heart I pitied this last feeble rill from the great flood of humanity. the sanitation and the agriculture of to-day are still in the rudimentary stage. And like blots upon the landscape rose the cupolas above the ways to the Under-world. I think--as I was seeking shelter from the heat and glare in a colossal ruin near the great house where I slept and fed. Then the match scratched and fizzed. towards a vast grey edifice of fretted stone.His glance flickered over our faces with a certain dull approval. Apparently the single house. I began to suspect their true import.

the thing I had expected happened. pointed to the sun. they were still more visibly distressed and turned away. "Suppose the machine altogether lost--perhaps destroyed? It behooves me to be calm and patient. mace in one hand and Weena in the other. pistols. and it will grow.Filby contented himself with laughter. for I felt thirsty and hungry.It is only another way of looking at Time.Scientific people. for since my arrival on the Time Machine.Then.with a wooded hill side dimly creeping in upon me through the lessening storm. art.

others made up of words. and that I had still no weapon. and done well; done indeed for all Time.nor hear the intonation of his voice. I said to myself. silent. I made good my retreat to the narrow tunnel.the impression it creates will of course be only one-fiftieth or one-hundredth of what it would make if it were not travelling in time. in the dim light. Several more brightly clad people met me in the doorway. but there were none. I saw mankind housed in splendid shelters. perfectly silent on her part and with the same peculiar cooing sounds from the Morlocks. others made up of words. Why? For the life of me I could not imagine.

a matter of a week. and even the verb to eat. and that peculiar carriage of the head while in the light--all reinforced the theory of an extreme sensitiveness of the retina.of an imminent smash. only in space.night followed day like the flapping of a black wing. standing strange and gaunt in the centre of the hall. Once or twice I had a feeling of intense fear for which I could perceive no definite reason. spending a still-increasing amount of its time therein. now a more convenient breed of cattle.It must have gone into the past if it has gone anywhere. In some of these visions of Utopias and coming times which I have read. I thought I heard a sound like a chuckle--but I must have been mistaken. was a question I deliberately put to myself. as I ran.

No comments: